Sign in to follow this  

2011 kx250f

I've got an offer for my '05 YZ125 plus 1500-2000 ontop to get a pretty much new 2011 KX250F that was maintained very well and not beaten on. Should I pull the trigger on this deal or sell and wait for something else come spring? Not in a rush, but some of the bigger sand pits I ride in for winter practice are giving my 125 too much of a challenge (90-120 foot tall sand walls w/ 100ft+ long jumps), plus the 250f would be better for racing/practice at Englishtowns track. Any problems known to these bikes would be appreciated too, I'm good with maintenance but a faulty crank is a faulty crank, and I'm used to a bulletproof bike.

if I were you I'd put a 144 kit on that 125. it would be less than the 2000 and those yz 125's are the best 125 I've ever ridden. if bullet proof is what your looking for you already have the best bike for that and some suspension work and a 144 kit will better than any 250f IMO. I liked those yz125's that much.:smirk:

Good point about the 144 kit but in general, it comes down to how much you want a 250f. I had a YZ125 since new (05) and finally just sold it cause I wasn't really riding it as much as my 250fs. If you are just looking for a bike to have a lot of fun on the 125/144 can be great but if it feels under-powered now and you also plan on doing a lot of MX, i think you are better off with a 250f. The 2011 KX is obviously a good choice, if you go that route. Not to knock the 125 cause it is an amazing bike, but I personally feel like the 250f would be a slight upgrade for what type of riding you may be doing.

I'm riding in really deep sand with a lot of big step ups, the 250f's just seem to pull through the sand so much easier, and I don't know that putting all that cash into an 8 year old bike is such a good idea, with the '11 my resale would be much higher than a worked out 125, I've learned stock is usually best in terms of reliability and resale. Plus I was eating dirt out of the corners and in the straights, even when I'd pass one in a corner if they lost the flow at a private place I ride at, I'd be 6th tapped and I'd still manage to get roosted by the time I was hitting the next turn, and I was wide open the whole time. Considering it's an '11 bike with FI, it's hard to make a call.

Ya I know where you are coming from. I don't think it's a bad deal if you swap. Assuming you already have ridden enough 250f's to know what you are getting with it (and possibly what you are giving up with the other, such as simplicity, possible fun-factor etc of the 125) then I say go for it.

I guess I just love the control of the 250f's, that kawasaki had such nice throttle response along with suspension and handling to kill for. Whichever line I took it just stuck and kept pulling all the way down the straights. I think the boosted confidence itself could provide for an all new fun factor, considering the vast amount of jumps (large,small, and HUGE) I've got around here.

1500-2000, thats a 500 difference. I think your kinda at a wash with the deal, for the extra change you could build up a pretty nice 05 YZ 125......but, its still a 05 YZ 125! If your saying the 250f is in good shape, I would tell you to go for it, it is 6yrs newer, better suspension, better bike and its also a bike that you could probably sell for what you paid for it if you dont like it.

I'm a bit off with that price, I'd probably be looking at 1000 or so ontop, so realistically it'd be a really solid deal! I'm going to give the guy a call tomorrow and see where his heads at. But I could definitely sell it and get my cash back, I only bought the 05 yz125 for 1500 so it was a steal, it was pretty much new, maybe 30 hours on it, so I won't be losing cash.

gonna do my best to try and make a deal! the guys kid need a 125 to ride and the kid loved the yamaha over the ktm 125 they were looking at so I think I may have a good chance to negotiate something!

around here 4000 is a great deal for an 11 in good condition. so i think thats a fine deal id pay the 2000 but obviously try to pay the 1500.

hearing a lot of '11 horror stories lately with the rods going.. don't know if this is poor maintenance or whatever but I'm gonna look into it more, really don't want to pay that kinda cash for a grenade

im on here reading alot and iv only seen less then probably 5 failures. this is a big site and theres millions of kx250f's made a year so id say its not a big thing. i think its a mixture of a big site with a lot of members, kawis are the highest sold bike, and they i dont know about 2011 but for 2012 have more power then the other bikes so more stress.

kawi's 2012 is boasting higher durability internals such as crankshaft, sounds like this isn't exactly a small time issue :smirk:

im on here reading alot and iv only seen less then probably 5 failures. this is a big site and theres millions of kx250f's made a year so id say its not a big thing. i think its a mixture of a big site with a lot of members, kawis are the highest sold bike, and they i dont know about 2011 but for 2012 have more power then the other bikes so more stress.

More like 10,000 or so, probably less then that!

yeah nobodys producing like they used too, $7000 bikes just don't compliment this still disastrous economy. Just bought another yz125 to fix and ditch, cheap 2 strokes are making a come back around here for a good amount of people looking to get into it or have a beater. It's a bit more practical these days.

I have a kx 250 f 2011 and I wish I never sold my 2009 cr450 in the first place, or my yz for that matter. The suspension on mine is done by rrp, and is super stiff it rides real good at englishtown and blue diamond. if I was you I would just make sure I have a good clutch kit and basket, fresh topend and run race gas in that yz 125 and you can really jam. run fresh parts on it and work on your skill. worry about a new bike later.4 strokes are really loud and you can go just as good on that 125, unless it is so beat up that you want something new. I find out that when I switch bikes it is like throwing money away in the toss. Send me a PM maybe I can meet you out at the sand pit and you can test it out. Its pretty fast, just put new clutch tire and bigger back sprocket.