Sign in to follow this  

Scored a free 88' YZ250, pics.

Well I was lucky enough to see this posting on Craigslist tonight for a free 1988 YZ250 JUST as it got posted. Apparently I was the second person he called back, first guy never showed up. By the time I got there he said he had about 10 people waiting to pick it up ASAP (lucky me).

The guy I got it from had it since 95. He says it was running just fine, and while sitting on top of a dune waiting for a buddy, he pressed the kill button, and he said he didn't quite leave it pressed long enough and as the bike started to catch life again.... the kick starter somehow slammed forward and put a hole in the side case cover. From that moment on the kick starter was stuck and could not be kicked over.

He took it home, pulled the side case cover off and had that repaired. Bought new case gasket, took the clutch disks out... and left it sitting for close to 10 years. A few months went by and he decided to work on it later and he put it on non-op. So fast forward 10 years, while purging his garage, he just decided give it out for free.

I don't know much about this year YZ250. But he said he had upgraded the plastics to a mid 90's look and the seat. I got all the parts for it nicely organized in zip loc bags with the fixed case. It has a pro-circuit pipe, answer silencer and he even gave me new silencer packing, a new side case gasket and the original service manual. It is super dusty from sitting for so long.

So I wanted to share this experience with everyone, and get some tips and maybe info on the bike. I did a little research and it seems that this is the first year with rear disk brake. If anyone has or has had one I would love to hear your observation on these bikes.

I attached a picture of the motor with the side cover off and you can see where the arrow is, the plastic retainer or whatever its called is broken. He didn't know if maybe that was all that happened to it, or if the tranny took some damage. Anyone have any idea what could have caused the kick starter to fly forward with enough force to break the case??

This seems like a really cool bike. Upon sitting on it, funny how it feels a lot like my 2001 YZ's.

There is also something engraved on the cylinder. I can not make it out completely, but I think its says "3DC (or G) Racing". I took a pic of it and maybe someone recognizes it and what does it mean? Maybe a machine shop did some work to the cylinder.

Being a YZ smoker lover, I couldn't pass this up.

I will consider a trade for a 50 for my son. I'm in San Diego.

So here she sits at my house. I'm going to clean her up tomorrow. :smirk:

CopyofIMAG4217.jpg

IMAG4229.jpg

IMAG4233.jpg

IMAG4223.jpg

IMAG4235.jpg

IMAG4234.jpg

IMAG4227.jpg

IMAG4224.jpg

IMAG4225.jpg

IMAG4222.jpg

IMAG4240.jpg

Sweet deal. Looks like you've got a nice project to keep you busy.

Those Answer Sneakers were UBER quiet!

I put one on my '89 RM250 way back in the day.

Yeah im excited to get cracking on it! Woke up looking through the service manual :smirk:

I wonder what caused the kicker to slam forward while pressing the kill button!

check the woodruff key.

Thanks I will take off the magneto and see if that's the culprit. I just saw your thread and see you had a similar problem. Thanks for the tip.

My three year old son has taken claim on his new "purple motorcycle" as he calls it now. Hopefully I can shrink it down to size for him... hint hint trades trades. :smirk:

I just put it on the stand. Putting it in any gear the tire spins. It is not engaging the gears.

So I started to wrench, and decided I could not work on it being so "dusty". Took it outside and cleaned her up. Cleaned up pretty nice!

IMAG4243.jpg

IMAG4241.jpg

Now back to the operation!

WOW...How LUCKY is that. Of course the guy with 7 dirt bikes gets the free one! LOL jk but really though looks like it fell into the right hands. I hope you get a good trade for it, or restore it to it's original 88 awesomeness.

WOW...How LUCKY is that. Of course the guy with 7 dirt bikes gets the free one! LOL jk but really though looks like it fell into the right hands. I hope you get a good trade for it, or restore it to it's original 88 awesomeness.

Funny! When I told my wife she was like NO. I actually had to sneak out of my house to go get it. :smirk:

So now its justified because it will hopefully be traded for my sons dirt bike :bonk:.

The more I look at it the more I like it! :lol:

I just put it on the stand. Putting it in any gear the tire spins. It is not engaging the gears.

Duh! Of course the rear wheel is going to spin if I have it up in the air! :smirk:

All the gears DO engage! Neutral is right on the money. Inner clutch basket moves with each selected gear, and the outer part of the clutch basket moves by turning the stator. Feels smooth as so does the pistons movement.

"Kill button not working,popping backwards" Motor was REAL hot and was 'dieseling'. More common with the old air cooled motors when running in the sand.

I'd check for a damaged piston inside..

Please beat the crap out of the person who painted it.

man, the 88 yz was an amazing looking bike. I cannot wait to see it completed.

Well after my inspection. It looks to me like all it needs is a new kick axle plastic spring guide, side case kick axle oil seal and kick gear! Maybe $100 in new parts. The kick gear taking about 80% of the chunk.

The compression feels sound and everything turns smooth.

Gas looks like crap and it just runs through with the gas on. Float must be stuck.

Yeah I was also bummed when I was told it was painted! I LOVE red/white. I never even new Yami went that route in the 90's! I can't be to picky on a free bike though :smirk:.

If everything feels smooth, should I still check the woodruff key??

Hell, for $150 you could do a new top end and sell it like a proper craigslist bike with a NEW TOP END. :smirk:

RIGHT??? And add on the next line "NEVER RACED"! :bonk: That sums up a proper craigslist add!

OP, if I was you I'd just ensure the bottom end is okay and then rebuild the rest. Just did this on my 98 for like $300 and that includes Wiseco pro lite, reeds, silencer packing, everything, and a ton of extras! Then you could make 10 fold on that bike since it was free.

OP, if I was you I'd just ensure the bottom end is okay and then rebuild the rest. Just did this on my 98 for like $300 and that includes Wiseco pro lite, reeds, silencer packing, everything, and a ton of extras! Then you could make 10 fold on that bike since it was free.

tenfold times 300 is 3000. Seems sorta high for a '88 model. :smirk:

Okay or leave it not running and worth nothing....? I mean sure, it's worth something, but with new motor worth ALOT more cuz people don't wanna do that stuff even though it's so simple.

Anytime you can invest X amount of Dollar$ in something and get double the amount out of it, it's a hell of a deal...even if he sold it for only $600, which would be a STEAL and you know it.

Well here is the update:

I have had it for sale for about a week while I decided if I was going to invest in it or not. Priced at $550 "as-is". No real offers, so this weekend I decided I was going to start working on it.

Then today, out of no where..... it was purchased at asking price.

So who was the true winner in this venture?

:bonk:

Fernbike.jpg

The sale made room for his bike and even enough for gear. Its a 1997 with a fresh top end. I bought it from a gentleman who had purchased it for his grand daughters as a Christmas gift. Apperantly it scared them and didnt want it. He worked on it for a few weeks prior to Christmas and tuned everything on it to make it safe and realiable. The top end is so fresh that I can still smell the new paint burning off the cylinder. Runs like a champ. Price was $400. Very fair indeed.

So the full circle of good deeds from the guy giving it away, to the grandfather working on the PW from his heart for his grand daughters... all ended up making a little boy VERY happy. That's what its all about. :lol: He's ecstatic! Now all he wants to do is :smirk: