Sign in to follow this  

Need some mechanical advice on this one

Alright guys so i have an 02 YZ 250. Its pretty damn clean and it runs great. But i have been wanting a newer YZ 250 for the new aluminum frame upgrade, but i dont have 2500$ to drop on a new 06. I was wondering you think it would be possible to buy an aluminum frame and put everything on my 02 on the frame to save me buying a new bike all together ? Comments are appreciated im desperate ! haha:banghead:

Have your suspension professionally valved and sprung for your weight and riding ability. You can have this done for anywhere from $200 to $400 depending on who you know and how much work your boingers need. If that doesn't have you feeling like your on a newer aluminum framed bike I would just have to say its time to start pinching pennies.

2002 YZ250 WEIGHT 215.0 pounds

2006 YZ250 WEIGHT 211.6 pounds

its like 4 lbs dont worrie about it go buys some sikk parts for it :smirk:

Shit, you guys think i should just keep it? Im trying to upgrade but what really is the difference between the 02 and the 06??

Get some newer suspension for it and have it valved for you. That's where 99% of the benefit is.

Shit, you guys think i should just keep it? Im trying to upgrade but what really is the difference between the 02 and the 06??

Keep the 2002, they're still competitive with any other two stroke 250.

I have a 2002 and a 2010. I think suspension and front brake are the only must have mods to the older bike.

My 2002 is revalved and re-sprung for my weight. It has no disadvantage to the stock 2010 suspension.

The biggest improvements between 2002 and 2006-2012 are:

1) Front brake on the '02 YZ sucks. Get a CR brake or '08+ YZ front brake)

2) Suspension (revalve your 2002 suspension or swap on the SSS fork/shock)

3) '03-2010 cylinder & head adds a little zap to the power delivery (better for MX)

4) Seat foam (I'm 5'9" tall, but I love the extra 10mm of seat height)

So front and rear suspension? Im gonna be honest im so lost when it comes to suspension, any ideas or suggestions on what to do ?

IMHO, your best bet would be to remove your forks and shock, take them to a reputable suspension shop in your area, and pay them to rebuild/revalve them. I paid about 400 locally (at a place called Tech-Care) for this service. A good shop will set up your suspension for your riding style and ability. On my 03 YZ250 this service made a huge difference and really increased my confidence and speed. I should have done it sooner.

Are you in SoCal? I would give it to Travis at TBT Racing. He is great to work with, affordable and knows what we are looking for. He has a SX rider going in A1 this weekend, and he does the work for most of the top desert racers in the area as well. He knows his stuff, just be honest with him and you won't regret it.

At one point, after reading all the reviews on here, I was dead set on an 06 or newer for the upgraded suspension. Travis re-valved and re-sprung my 04 YZ250 and I haven't looked back. I am not the prototype rider the YZ suspension is set up for, so the service would have had to be done anyways.

So front and rear suspension? Im gonna be honest im so lost when it comes to suspension, any ideas or suggestions on what to do ?

Congratulations. That's the first step. Next step is to develop a willingness and determination to learn.

Set your sag. Then find out where your settings are a write them down. Check your manual for what the stock settings are.

Go out on a practice day and bring a screwdriver. Set a goal for that practice day to learn something about suspension adjustment.

Set one setting on one end at a time. Ues two clicks so it's easy to notice. See how upping the compression dampening on your fork effects arm pump. Learn how rebound dampening on your fork will first quiet it down and then cause it to deflect all over the place.

Then monkey with the shock and see what it's settings do and how your shock can bugger your fork if you really screw it up.

Hello Hutch from a fellow BARFer and a former bay area rider (I see Carnegie in your background) ....

I have an 06 and I have ridden a friend's older bike. 01 or 02, I don't know. The engines and suspension felt pretty similar, not $2500 different for sure. The steel frames look like crap from boot wear near the footpegs and the alu frames don't.