Sign in to follow this  

High oil consumption on XR400 or not ?

Hello, my question is actually kind of simple. On my last oil change i removed the oil filter and added 1.9 liters oil.

Yesterday, i did a check on the oil levels but the oil level was low. I emptied the engine oil to see how much it was left inside. I counted 1.5 liters about (without removing the oil filter).

This consumption was within 800km. Is this number normal ? Let's say that there are 100ml more in the filter that i did not remove, so we go up to 1.6 liters. But from 1.6 to 1.9 its 300ml .

There is no oil leakage on the engine, the exhaust seems to be pretty clean and it's rare to see white smoke coming out from the exhaust.

So how do those numbers sound to you ?

Are you checking the oil level properly? The only way to get an accurate reading on the dipstick is to run the engine, preferably ride it, for about 10 minutes, then shut down the engine and immediately check the level.

Are you checking the oil level properly? The only way to get an accurate reading on the dipstick is to run the engine, preferably ride it, for about 10 minutes, then shut down the engine and immediately check the level.

I did not need to do the check. I removed the oil , so i saw what was left inside. 1500ml from 1900ml that i added 800km ago. So its 300ml difference if i also add the 100ml which is still in the oil filter.

We change oil quite often in bikes and I never check exactly how many cc's of oil comes out. :smirk: If your bike is using oil, It will be smoking a good bit while running. Or, it could be leaking out seals. (any oil puddles?)

If not, I would not be worried about it.

We change oil quite often in bikes and I never check exactly how many cc's of oil comes out. :smirk: If your bike is using oil, It will be smoking a good bit while running. Or, it could be leaking out seals. (any oil puddles?)

If not, I would not be worried about it.

No leakage from the engine and i do not see a lot of smoke. Just sometimes when i push on the first gear hard or when i first start the engine a bit.

If I'm reading this right, you did an oil and filter change 800km ago. Oil level was not checked once between then and yesterday.

Did you remove the oil yesterday because you were planning to do an oil change anyway?

This exchange doesn't make sense:

You<<<<<<<Yesterday, i did a check on the oil levels but the oil level was low.>>>>>>

Creeky<<<<<Are you checking the oil level properly?<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You<<<<<<<I did not need to do the check. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You didn't answer his question.

So your way of checking the oil level is to drain and measure the oil you get out once every 800km?

What kind of riding? Trail only, street and trail?

From where are you draining your oil? The engine case drain point, the frame down tube point, or both?

Hello Trailryder.

So, yes i did change oil and filter 800km ago. I did check once the level since then in between. If i am not wrong about 400km ago. The levels seemed fine.

Yes i did check the oil level two days ago and there was no reading.

Maybe i did no measure the oil level properly. I now read 2 different methods online to have a correct oil reading. So i will try them the next time.

I said i did not have to check the oil levels to confirm that they were low. When i saw that there was no oil on the indicator, i wanted to go the secure way. Removed the oil to check how much oil was left inside. The oil that was left inside, was about 1500 (maybe 1550ml), without draining the oil filter.

800km i added 1900ml. The type of riding is both street and trail.

I am draining my engine from both points.

Maybe there is nothing wrong with the bike. That is why the topic is with a question mark. Is a 250-300ml oil consumption for 800km normal ? If i measured it right, that should be the number.

My xr400 easily uses that much oil in that many km's. I put 3000 miles on my bike in 9 months with it consuming at least that much oil, and it still runs perfect. My bike seems to use up most of its oil on start up as it smokes just a bit before it is warmed up. I have been told it is most likely valve seals which isn't a huge deal.

Ok. Thanks for giving more info. I agree that in that many Kms, both street and trail, you could see that kind of oil use. I don't how long it takes you to put on 800Km, but this lets you know that you need to be checking the level more often at the dipstick.

And you MUST check it like Creeky described earlier.

Edited by Trailryder42

The way i check mine is after getting home from work which is a 40 minute ride, all street.

I get off her and leave it running for 2 minutes, holding her upright, then shut her down and check the oil then.

Works for me, and no touching the throttle in that 2 minutes.

Ok. Thanks for giving more info. I agree that in that many Kms, both street and trail, you could see that kind of oil use. I don't how long it takes you to put on 800Km, but this lets you know that you need to be checking the level more often at the dipstick.

And the MUST check it like Creeky described earlier.

That calms me a bit down.

Well 800km in about 1 to 1.5 month. But does that make any difference? I mean is there any difference if i make 1000km in 1 month or in 6 months ?

The way i check mine is after getting home from work which is a 40 minute ride, all street.

I get off her and leave it running for 2 minutes, holding her upright, then shut her down and check the oil then.

Works for me, and no touching the throttle in that 2 minutes.

Thanks for the tip. I have to check that next time i will be able to ride again.

At the moment the XR has a broken frame.

On my last ride, after riding on stones, hills up and down everything was ok. While we started riding on a flat path with 20-30km in some magic way the spring that holds the stand in its position just fell off. The stand opened, touched the ground and my XR made a sudden 90 degree turn. The force from the XR and my weight that feel on the stand was more than enough to make a slice on the frame. I hope it can be fixed and be as it was before.