Sign in to follow this  

wheels driving me crazy

Okay,I am in Cambodia and can't find off road wheels for my DRZ 400E. I have exhausted myself trying. Right now I have SM wheels on it. To get wheels shipped here would cost me a small fortune. An option I am thinking about is using wheels off a Suzuki Djebel 250. My questions are; Should I use the complete Djebel wheel and just add use some spacers for the hubs? Or should I just switch over the Djebel rims and spokes to my DRZ hubs?

Cambodia is an off road bikers dream. If I don't start riding in dirt soon I think I will go crazy!

Depends on if the brake rotors and sprocket align with the bike countersprocket and calipers. If they do it will be easy to fab some spacers assuming the axles are the same diameter. If not you'll need to find bearings that match your need and buid a center spacer.

The front is easier as you can offset the rim so the rotor aligns with the caliper while retaining the tire centered in the forks. If you can achieve that maybe you can find a 17" knobby tire for the rear, I don't know if they exist though.

If you can't make the sprocket and rotors align it might be easier to search for a set of spokes of the right length and bend or maybe have them built locally. Good luck and post whatever solution you come up with :smirk:

I would contact a US company that has flat rate shipping via USPS (United States Postal Service) like Motostrano. They quoted me something like 60 bucks to ship the wheels to Canada but I ended up getting used wheels.

You will want to check your duty fees prior to shipping. Using a Courier could be risky, they usually want brokerage fees.

Steve

Edited by SteveROntario
I messed up some of the information.

Can you get tires shipped??? I'm running Kenda 270's on my SM and they work great.

Can you get tires shipped??? I'm running Kenda 270's on my SM and they work great.

Which 270's are you using? Are you using a rear tire on the front wheel?

Which 270's are you using? Are you using a rear tire on the front wheel?

Yes, 5.10 on the rear and 4.60 on the front.

1-18.jpg

Yes, 5.10 on the rear and 4.60 on the front.

1-18.jpg

Hey,thanks for the replies. Did you put the front tire on reversed? I heard some where that this should be done. I don't know if this is true. How well does your set up work on road and off rode?

no, just normal install. It really works great! I love it in the dirt... on the street I just take it a little easier in the corners.

no, just normal install. It really works great! I love it in the dirt... on the street I just take it a little easier in the corners.

Okay.Sounds good.Thanks. Just one more question. Why the 5.1 on rear and 4.6 on front? Does this balance the bike or some thing? Will 5.1 not fit or work on the front. Or visa versa? You advice is great help as my options are limited where I am.

Just edited; I now understand. Wider tire on the back,thinner tire on the front.Thanks

Edited by morocco

What kind of terrain will you be riding on in Cambodia? I don't want to turn you away from a 17" front wheel (I was the one who suggested you go with a 17" rear in the first place :smirk:) but there's a reason dirt bikes use a 21" wheel in the front.

What kind of terrain will you be riding on in Cambodia? I don't want to turn you away from a 17" front wheel (I was the one who suggested you go with a 17" rear in the first place :smirk:) but there's a reason dirt bikes use a 21" wheel in the front.

You never really know what terrain one might run into over here;Deep soft sand,mud,clay,ruts,rivers,steep mountain trails,etc.The adventure here or in Laos is that if you want to explore and go where few people ride then one has to get off the beaten track and leave the hard top behind. I think I will have to bite the bullet and pay the price of imported wheels. Thumper Talk is really a great site and the members and their knowledge are out standing. Thanks for the advice and help.

Depends on if the brake rotors and sprocket align with the bike countersprocket and calipers. If they do it will be easy to fab some spacers assuming the axles are the same diameter. If not you'll need to find bearings that match your need and buid a center spacer.

The front is easier as you can offset the rim so the rotor aligns with the caliper while retaining the tire centered in the forks. If you can achieve that maybe you can find a 17" knobby tire for the rear, I don't know if they exist though.

If you can't make the sprocket and rotors align it might be easier to search for a set of spokes of the right length and bend or maybe have them built locally. Good luck and post whatever solution you come up with :smirk:

Well I finally have the wheels sorted out. Meet up with a Cambodian friend I hadn't seen for awhile. Told him my plight and he takes my to his friend who has a small shop. The guy says no problem and with in an hour he had gathered up two Excel Takasago rims,spokes and two Drz hubs. All where used but in great shape. Then tells me he will have the hubs,rims and spokes rechromed so they will look brand new. He new I liked black color rims and he says no problem.Then says he will put on new on/off tires( Thailand brand).How much for every thing? $300 usd. Well needless to say I was very happy. Took 2 days and the wheels work great and look great.Dirt here I come! Thank Buddha! lol :bonk: