Sign in to follow this  

2001 YZ 125 - Newbie !

I just picked up a pretty good deal from a seller that needed the cash...$600....couldn't find anything wrong with the bike except could use a new rear tire in future. Seller had a professional tune it up a month ago and said it would probably need a new top end in the future.

Question...is it common that a tune up on this bike is $300 at dealership? Not that I would pay anyone to change my oil for that much, even on a BMW.

Me an my neighbor rode her pretty hard during the pre-purchase inspection.....started up no problems (cold), drove through the gears without popping in and out of gear....clutch was tight...brakes work....no leaks....no issues?.....bought it. Drove it last night through all the gears a few times....

Overall feels good....kind of boggie down low and then takes off mid-high range....noticed the air/fuel mix screw was out about 2 1/2 turns.....probably try and find out where it should be....could be a little lean that far out....

Now I have a bike to ride while the 96 RM250 is getting the new sleeve and piston kit, powervalves polished up, etc..:smirk:

I would probably throw a top end in the bike just for the insurance of it but thats just me. I would probably stripit down and regrease everything, wheel bearings, linkage, swingarm etc,etc. I would also put a new air filter in it and change the oil.

But i wouldnt waster you money to have a shop do it. Most of this stuff you can do yourself. Also the biggest thing i would recomend is to get a service manual if you dont have one. Check this site out if you need a manual:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/owner-manuals/index.aspx

And i would maybe go upone size on the pilot to see if that changes your throttle response but maybe set the carb back to factory specs and see what happens

thanks man and god bless

Alex

Drained the oil today just to check things out and guess what came out....a bunch of metal.....great. Finished draining out and took off the clutch cover...oh my...metal everywhere.......took out clutch disks and there was one clutch plate that was about 80% in place....the other 20% was everywhere....what a mess. Cleaned it, vaccummed it, wd40'd it, compressed air blowed it.....pretty comforable everything got blown out. Put everything back together and a new DG clutch kit and she feels better. So far, so good. Everyone keeps telling me to keep this bike!

Ohhh my hahaha but hey that happens. Just wear and tear in my opinion haha.

But i would change the oil again to make sure you got a lot of the metal pieces out because trust me, you dont want a chunk of metal getting lodged in between one of your tranny gears.

Also i would suggest getting a magnetic drain plug. They are awesome

thanks man

Alex

New DG clutch kit is working sweet. NO...did not oil the clutch kit overnight as the instructions said "NOT" to......$160 clutch. Ordered up the graphics for it and going out for a ride today (10F....cold).. Will have some pictures soon.

Flushed out the oil after cleaning it.....very clean now. I might be keeping this bike and selling the RM250.....NOT.

Thats good man hahaha i wouldnt get rid of it, you got a nice bike there:thumbsup:

Today it was about 10F and I went out and adjusted the air/fuel adjustment out to about 1 1/4 tuns....she ran quite well this morning. Later in the day she died on me after a short run. Cleaned the carbon/dirty/wet plug and she ran well for a while. After a while, she died again....assuming the plug is fouled. The plug is a BR9EG.

The bike ran good yesterday, however the air/fuel mix was not what I had set it at today.

Could this be as simple as I need to lean out the air/fuel mix by backing out to about 2 1/2 where it was yesterday?

Also, yesterday I put in a fresh batch of 93octane/32:1 mix.......going too rich?

Try 40:1 mix but I would say try br8eg but I'm.more worried if that will be too hot. Also.his did you plug look?

Me and my buddy are planning on going up to 40:1 for future use on both of our RM250's.

I finally went to the Suzuki dealer (no Yami's around here) and picked up 2 BR8EG plugs....twisted my air/fuel mix all the way in and then backed it out 3 times, went for many rides today and no problems at all....actually felt quite good. I'm cautions as I don't need detonation issues, however always run 93 octane in my blends too. Probably replace piston/rings on the YZ afer my RM is back running.

That's good man!!!!!!! Sweet! I'm glad everything is now sorted out for you

The 01s were very good. They went five speed after that till 2005. My 01 was very quick and just felt right when you slung a leg over it and reliable. Traded mine for a neat 95 S10 4WD 5 speed. Now have an 06 that's sweet.

Craigus

• Like 1

Here's the YZ125 (01), my RM250 (96) inbetween motor job, and my buddies RM125(96) and RM250 (90)

I just ordered up a power valve spring from a 98' for my 01'. Lighter spring and its suppose to take care of that small lag down low. It was about $3.50 from the Yamaha dealer.

Also just ordered the JD Jetting kit.

Edited by blueripps

I just ordered up a power valve spring from a 98' for my 01'. Lighter spring and its suppose to take care of that small lag down low. It was about $3.50 from the Yamaha dealer.

Have to correct myself. The spring is actually lighter on the 01'. Opens to quick and bogs. The lighter spring is in the 01-03. The heavier better pv spring is in the 00' and 04'.

I just received my yest. The part number is: 90501-30001

You need to remove the right side cover. The spring is in the gov assembly. You can do it with the cylinder on. It will show you in the manual. Not a hard job. Get a new right side case gasket as well.

Spring report.

I installed the spring in the govn, rode it lightly as I can't blast around here, BUT, can tell the difference right away. Before when I would initially open the throttle it would give like a half second bog. Gone now. Snapped real quick. Cant wait to ride at the track!

Spring report.

I installed the spring in the govn, rode it lightly as I can't blast around here, BUT, can tell the difference right away. Before when I would initially open the throttle it would give like a half second bog. Gone now. Snapped real quick. Cant wait to ride at the track!

So you got a heavier pv spring?