Sign in to follow this  

What do you think of your 2008 EXC 530

Well Im in the market for a high performance 4 stroke enduro dirt bike and I found a used 2008 EXC 530 I may be interested in. Some of the bikes Im looking at are the crf450x, wr450f, klx450f, and the exc530/450.

I dont ride my bikes hard at all, I trail ride with the occasional hill climb and I do not race so I am hoping to get well over 100hrs on my engine before doing an major repair. Maintenance and repairs are huge for me because I am new to high performance bikes, I used to own a xr400 so I never did any work to the bike other than oil changes and other wear and tear.

What do you guys think of your EXC's?

What should I expect/ look for in the 2008 model?

Are they reliable compared to the Japanese bike?

Is the bike too Aggressive?

Parts/ Service too expensive?

Would you buy it again?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated because I am ready to pull the trigger but would like to know what IM getting into first.

Thanks

Steve

I am a Honda 450x guy but got a 2009 450 exc for the license plate

Plenty of power and a sixth gear 100 mph after gearing down.

1500 miles and only oil changes. I ride hard, 40 Expert desert racer.

A solid bike.

some 2008's had a oil burn problem, Rings and its good.

Parts pricing?

I would buy another one.

I am a Honda 450x guy but got a 2009 450 exc for the license plate

Plenty of power and a sixth gear 100 mph after gearing down.

1500 miles and only oil changes. I ride hard, 40 Expert desert racer.

A solid bike.

some 2008's had a oil burn problem, Rings and its good.

Parts pricing?

I would buy another one.

Ya are parts for KTM more expensive/ harder to find?

I have both 450X & 530EXC...great bikes! WIth the type of riding you plan to do they will both last a long time. Buy the best / least abused/ lowest hour bike. With todays access to the Internet, parts are no problem. KTM does take it up a notch with the Hydraulic clutch, braided steel brake lines & ability to Tag some of their bikes.

Four of us were on an enduro riding holiday in Spain last year. One of the bikes was a 530. At the end of the trip, we called it the "widow maker". Awesome :smirk:

I switched from an XR400 to an '08 450XC-W and I'm glad I did. While the XR still runs great without a hiccup and on the KTM I've had to finish two enduros without a clutch (bark buster rotated and broke the hydraulic line X2), I wouldn't trade the KTM away. I love the suspension and the bike is super light and easy to ride.

I would steer you away from the '08 models because of a few recurring problems. If you have a choice, the '10 and '11 models were the best years for the 450/530.

I would steer you away from the '08 models because of a few recurring problems. If you have a choice, the '10 and '11 models were the best years for the 450/530.

What problems would that be, I'm also looking at used KTM's and would like to know of any problem years. I don't mind getting a problem bike as long as there is a good fix.

What problems would that be, I'm also looking at used KTM's and would like to know of any problem years. I don't mind getting a problem bike as long as there is a good fix.

Oil Transfer, oil burning, cam, etc.