Sign in to follow this  

Registering used KTM in CT?

Hey guys

Years ago, I had a 300 EXC that I had registered in CT. Because it was CT titled when I got it, I just re-registered without any sort of inspection. I am aware of some new changes on the DMV site that seem like I will have to trailer it down to the lion's den for an inspection, which I hate doing.

I am thinking of getting a 200exc for some light dual sporting and local riding, street use would only be to get to a trail or dirt road, and to do some netra turkey runs (no more enduros for me). Anyhow, just wondering, anyone done one lately? Also, what if it's a MA or out of state title?

Thanks!

I believe it is legal, I was just wondering about the inspection necessity. I'm ok with a vin inspection, but I don’t want to have to add a dual sport kit and then remove it afterwards just to get mirrors, horn, etc. My husky had those things, I should NOT have sold it.

If the bike was last registered out of state, it will need the safety inspection.

Having recently researched the laws and gone thru this with my 450 that I purchased from someone in VA, I can offer this...

If the bike is or was previously registered in CT, you are good to go...perfect scenario. Like you already said, all you have to do is go to DMV, register and of course, pay the Governor her wage.

Since KTM doesn't specify "For Off Road Use" on their titles or certificate of origin's, you can easily register any KTM in CT...but all bikes need to conform to DOT rules and regulations (i.e. head light, tail light, turn signals, horn, tires, etc). I don't believe you have to go thru inspection, as long as the bike was bought from a CT dealer or used from someone in CT. I might be wrong on that though...

Any bike that is purchased from out of state must go thru inspection, before registering. You can get a temporary tag, before going thru inspection...that way you can ride the bike to inspection. I did not know this and went out of my way to load the bike in my truck and drive to DMV. One pro of the temp tag is that you don't need a truck or trailer...one con is that you will wind up going to DMV twice (which is never a pleasant experience, if you ask me!). The inspection, in my case, was nothing more than a glorified VIN verification...they look at the previous title and check the VIN on the frame. Seemed like my inspector did look to see if I had lights but, never asked me to turn them on or look at the tires or ask to hear the horn, etc. Maybe I was lucky that day? The last thing I can think to mention…check DMV’s website to verify inspection site locations. They have downsized the number of available inspection locations drastically.

I'm ok with a vin inspection, but I don’t want to have to add a dual sport kit and then remove it afterwards just to get mirrors, horn, etc. My husky had those things, I should NOT have sold it.

The only surefire way is to get an '07+ EXC...comes from KTM with all the DOT stuff.

Thanks guys

Yeah, I think I will go after a pre-reg 200 or 250 exc/xcf :smirk:

Thanks guys

Yeah, I think I will go after a pre-reg 200 or 250 exc/xcf :smirk: