09 why is it so slow?

I bought my son an 09 a while ago and he has always complaned that it was slow. I always though it was because he had an 08 before this one and the 08 was just really fast. Lately I have been paying attention and his bike really is slow. He was riding this past weekend with two other fast B riders and a blind man could see the difference between the other bikes and his. His bike even sounds weak compared to the other stock bikes.

I know we could bolt on a pipe and tune it and that would make a big gain because my bike has that but that's not what we are looking for. Has anyone ever had this problem with these bikes? His bike is an early 09 so I was thinking that maybe the tune is off?? We even had his motor rebuilt from the crank up and its the same.

Anyway we plan on sending it to Eddie for a remap soon and I hope that this wakes it up.

Your thoughts?

Thanks ?

it may simply be tired.. a fresh 09 motor isn't that much different from a fresh 08 motor.. Have you done at least a compression test to see if it is below the spec showin in the manual? Miminum for an 08 is 78psi with a swift kick and throttle open. Could be a thousand other things, slipping clutch, not used to the 09 (way different feel of the ergonomics), not used to the FI of the 09..etc.

Id have you look at some basic stuff. Is the exhaust pipe black and sooty? How about the plug?

If you guys rebuilt the engine and its the same, Id say you've got something going on with a sensor or a fuel pump issue. Assuming there's an actual problem instead of a setup issue.

The tune could be off, not impossible. But someone would have had to do that to it, as opposed to it just getting that way by itself. Maybe that's why the other guy sold it?

Id get it sorted out before I threw a pipe at it and started to compound things. Could be the previous owner had a pipe on it, had it remapped and then pulled the pipe before he sold the bike too...

Do yourself a favor and start checking the sensors first. If you dont have the service manual, get one.

We have been through all the stuff that you guys talked about already. We bought the bike from one of my best freinds and it had very low hours on it when we got it and I have drag raced for 30 years so I have a good idea of what goes on in an engine and all the basic stuff has been checked.

Keep in mind that he has been riding this bike for over a year now so this isnt something that just started and thats why we had the motor rebuilt because we thought it was just tired.

It sounds good (maybe a little flat) but its almost like its not getting full throttle but I have checked that also.

We are going to send the ignition box to Eddie to see if he can help it out any.

My bike has an fmf exhaust and a tune and its amazing how fast it is but we want to keep his bike stock because he races 450B stock. His friend has a stock 2010 and it feels like it has 10 more HP then my sons

If youre an old time drag racer I know youve got a degree wheel in the garage somewhere. Check the cam. Its a long shot, but it could be out right from the factory.

Getting the factory cams specs might be an issue, but Im sure someone like Yoshimura or Tokyo Mods would probably be able to give them to you.

Heck, Eddie probably has them too.

Have you tried a different box?

We have been through all the stuff that you guys talked about already. We bought the bike from one of my best freinds and it had very low hours on it when we got it and I have drag raced for 30 years so I have a good idea of what goes on in an engine and all the basic stuff has been checked.

Keep in mind that he has been riding this bike for over a year now so this isnt something that just started and thats why we had the motor rebuilt because we thought it was just tired.

It sounds good (maybe a little flat) but its almost like its not getting full throttle but I have checked that also.

We are going to send the ignition box to Eddie to see if he can help it out any.

My bike has an fmf exhaust and a tune and its amazing how fast it is but we want to keep his bike stock because he races 450B stock. His friend has a stock 2010 and it feels like it has 10 more HP then my sons

It very well could be the ECU. We had a 250 act the same way. It came back into it when we replaced the ecu with a stock. I'd try borrowing one for test from either your bike or your friends 10, before remapping what you already have.

Hey Ron, on that subject, how much better will a 2010 run with a diff. Map? Bike runs great imo but could it be better? Shes all stock.

it can be better, thought about getting a fuel controller?

i have a proX fuel controller and it works very well, can change mixture and acceleration by just taking off my seat (have mounted in airbox) and pressing a couple of buttons.

heres a video of the prox controller

If your buddy has a '10 that feels like it has 10 more hp then you definitely have a problem. They are essentially the same bike... I have a friend with an 08 and I have an 09, and we both agree that while the 08 has the harder hitting low end, my 09 feels faster from mid-range all the way through the rpm range. My 09 isn't lacking any on the low end either though but it's not stock. It has been remapped by Eddie (money well spent) and has a full yoshimura pipe plus some things like suspension work, wheels, etc... The pipe and mapping make a big difference. Obviously aftermarket exhausts aren't AMA legal in the stock class, but I'm assuming the mapping can be changed? I haven't chased Loretta's since I've been on a fuel injected bike, but if you can re-jet carbs and stay stock then I assume you can re-map an FI bike?