Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400E vs DRZ 400K weight differences?

I have been looking at buying a good used DRZ E or K and have a couple options available. The question I have is there any noticable difference between the kick start version and the "E" start version as far as handling and power goes. I know the advantages of the e start but have been burned by a dead battery before on a TTR 250. I don't mind kicking to start and like the idea of less weight also. There just seems to be alot more E versions available on the market .... I just need a good RELIABLE trail bike that I can pick up and restart if (when ) I tip over.. I have done alot of searches on this subject and am leaning toward the kick start version. I am an experienced rider.

Thanks

for your opinions

Sam

the make the same power. the kickers rev quicker due to the smaller flywheel and lack of starter clutch. 15lbs lighter. there way less kickers because they produced fewer and ended production in 03.

Estart is nice when your hot and tired at the end of the day.

Estart is nice when your hot and tired at the end of the day.

Yes it is but sometimes my bike will sit for a month or more (especially when there is snow on the ground ) and I have to do a battery charge before I ride. Or like in the case of my TTR I left the key on and it was totally dead. I know I can hook up a battery tender etc. but it just seems like with the weight difference and simplicity of the kick version it might make more sense for me at least in my case. Also I have considered the fact that I can put a kicker on an E version. I guess alot depends on the condition of what I find.

Thanks for the input

Sam

You can allways fit a kick start kit to the e-model, best of two worlds...

+1 adding a kicker kit to my s was by far my best mod to date. It's nice having it both ways.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to look at a couple bikes today and make a decision. I know as I get older it gets tougher to kick anything over so I have to keep that in mind.

Sam

I have been looking at buying a good used DRZ E or K and have a couple options available. The question I have is there any noticable difference between the kick start version and the "E" start version as far as handling and power goes. I know the advantages of the e start but have been burned by a dead battery before on a TTR 250. I don't mind kicking to start and like the idea of less weight also. There just seems to be alot more E versions available on the market .... I just need a good RELIABLE trail bike that I can pick up and restart if (when ) I tip over.. I have done alot of searches on this subject and am leaning toward the kick start version. I am an experienced rider.

Thanks

for your opinions

Sam

I have found the electric start to be very reliable. I put a kicker kit on my E, but have never had to use it for backup. I have used it 5 or 6 times for the heck of it. This is my first electric start bike and after having it, I wouldn't buy a bike without an e-start. Its way faster than a kicker if you stall in a corner or in a tight spot. I bet you won't regret it if you get an e-start even though it is heavier.

I've also found that when riding with people on kickers that they tend to stall more often. Maybe it's just their riding but the heavier fly wheel on the E has got to help when your in a tricky spot, lugging the motor but dare not pull in the clutch to down shift.

This could be on a steep tricky climb or fender deep in a river...

Also restarting on the side of hill is much easier with the button.:smirk:

Good points on both counts especially the added flywheel effect on the "E".Unfortunately one of the bikes I was going to look at yesterday sold before I got to it which was a Kicker version. I will keep looking and probably wind up with an E model anyhow as that is what is most available. The search goes on....

Thanks

Sam