Problems starting my 11

Hello all.

I am having some problems that I can´t figure out and I would like to check with you if you can help me.

A few weeks ago my bike started to get more difficult to start, I have never had any problems before. One day I had to rise the idle because the engine will just turn off if I let off the gas.

Then one day I wasn´t able to start the bike with the choke on (when cold). It will also "fart" quite a few times. The only way is to not use it and give a bit of gas and prey to make it before 10 kicks. Once is on and hot, the bike just seems to work perfectly.

I brought the bike to the mechanic and he found that i put the oil filter the opposite (I don´t know how this could happen but it is like that it seems). He opened the motor to check the valves etc and everything was ok. Checked everything twice also with the computer and no faults in the EFI system.

Then he found like dust all around the EFI system (also the injector it seems) caused because of not oiling the air filter. I didn´t do it the last weeks after cleaning it (twinair) but I thought wrong that small dust can go in.

Then he proceeded to clean all and said it wasn´t too damaged and should be ok after cleaning it.

I got the bike back and he told me it starts ok now just with a bit of gas, kind like a 2 stroke.

Last weekend When I went to the track for the first time, it was the same song. Impossible to start it with the choke on when cold (also the "farts")

tried changing the plugs to get it richer and leaner but seems no change. Once I got it on I could ride it and the bike is great (I let the richer plug on for that matter)

Sorry for the big text and my English, but I wanted to check with you before going back to the mechanic. The bike is quite new.

Thank you very much, any comment will be appreciated.

Weak condensor/capacitor. Could be a plugged fuel filter or fuel pump issue. These will not show up on trouble codes. Did you replace spark plug? Could be a faulty injector or clogged injector. It could be related to the stator,coil,etc if it is a spark issue.

Try-spraying fuel into intake when bike is cold___if it fires..fuel issue.

If not__something electrical,compression,spark,timing,etc.

Thank you! I checked the spark plug, changed it also and it is ok. the first time I pulled it out it had like a bit uf dust or something, clear color.

The sparkplug makes the spark just fine so that one and the coil should be ok. Will make sure to check the rest. Thanks you a lot

A buddy of mine at work has a dual purpose KTM. When leaving work the other day, lower to mid 30s degree weather, I saw him out there trying to start his bike with little result. Farting and floofing was the order of the day. He finally employed and old two stroke trick and it started. By simply leaning the bike way over to the left and waiting for fuel to spill out the carb. overflow and then kicking it, it fired right up. I don't know if this is relevant to your situation but it is something to consider.

your very lucky the bike didnt seize due to the oil filter being on backwards. second oiling your air filter is very important to trap dust in the filter and not allow it to get into the motor. and finally, are you getting blueish smoke when it "farts"?

A buddy of mine at work has a dual purpose KTM. When leaving work the other day, lower to mid 30s degree weather, I saw him out there trying to start his bike with little result. Farting and floofing was the order of the day. He finally employed and old two stroke trick and it started. By simply leaning the bike way over to the left and waiting for fuel to spill out the carb. overflow and then kicking it, it fired right up. I don't know if this is relevant to your situation but it is something to consider.

Oops, my bad!

• Like 1

Hi!

I just broght the rmz to the shop again. The injection is not the problem , as they told that they even changed the full body for another from other rmz and the problem was still there.

The valves clearance was checked and ok also. They are heading to the cilinder as the possible cause, wich I was a bit sceptical with. When they opened the engine it had a few small marks wich he didn´t thought they were significant enough to be the cause of the problem. He is going to check again now as he have heard other cases being this the problem. Oh well, nothing but wait and hear from them, I will let you know. Thak you for the answers

Hi. Thank you for asking man. Nice to hear your bike is ok now!

Well, my bike ended up needing a cylinder/piston change as they were damaged and out of the maximum tolerances caused by the dust that entered through the air filter. The first time they opened the motor they didn’t see it as it wasn’t so apparent at view.

So, they offered me instead of sending the cylinder to repair/nikel, to put a 08 spare cylinder they had at the shop with around 25 hours on it. I accepted and its now on with the new piston and supposedly starting perfectly.

I will pick it up this afternoon and going to ride it tomorrow. Total cost 1000€ (1300$)

Personal note: Clean and OIL every day I ride my air filter.