Sign in to follow this  

I want a 3cyl 2 STROKE

I have an itch to get a 3 cyl. 2 stroke and wonder if anyone has experience with whats available. I'm thinking a 350 to 500cc. Hopefully, there are some parts available if needed. I remember how much fun the 350-400 twins were. Incredibly fast and responsive. Looking for that same thrill again...

Thanks

I have heard from several sources that center piston overheating can be a real problem, being it's an air-cooled motor and all. But super fast so long as it runs!

my cousin had a kz 750 bak in the day ( he bought it new) The sound that thing made was awsome, fast as hell too.

:cheers:I owned a 1969 Kawasaki Mach III in 1969, bought it new, and rode it for a couple of years. In 1969 it was known as the fastest production motorcycle released to the public. It was imposible to keep the front end down in first gear, when it hit the pipe, even with my gut laying across the handle bars, I weighed 190 lbs, 6ft, The fastest I ever rode it was 130 mph, I never had trouble with the center cylinder, but typical of 2 strokes it did not like high altitude, on a trip to yellowstone, from Wa. state,going over the continental divide, I looked behind me, and it was like a mesquito smoker was at work. Loved the sound of that bike!!:smirk:

Edited by Hammerider
spelling

I forgot GAS MILEAGE was terrible, 36 mpg if you were really trying, 20 mpg if you cruise at 80 mph.:smirk:

You can always go with a "water buffalo" Suzuki GT750. They also had a GT550 and a GT380, that were 3cyl air cooled. I always thought the 380 and 550 were cool looking, the top of the motor had an air scoop on it

I'm leaning toward a Suzi 380 or 550. Gotta start shopping.

BTW HeavyGS - the TS125 purchase fell thru. I was too slow.

i think the kaw 750 triple would be cool

upgrade the susp and fit a steering damper of course

ya! back home a good friend of mine also an employee of my fathers, had a Kawasaki KH750 triple. man, was that thing a screamer.

I'm leaning toward a Suzi 380 or 550. Gotta start shopping.

BTW HeavyGS - the TS125 purchase fell thru. I was too slow.

Tough on the TS125, had a chance on a water buffalo last summer, but I've got too many projects already

what about this joker ... check out his ' japanese safety boots '

Good video, even tho the guy is a spud. Tell me the triples don't haul a$$!

Did anyone else notice he started out the first "run" of the video in 2nd. gear?

I have a 73 GT380 and I love the thing. Its my daily driver and I do about 4-7K miles a year on it (short season here).

I have had a GT750 and the power is awesome but its a big beast. The 380 is great. Its quick and will go a good enough clip to make me happy (90 miles/hour is not a huge problem) but not so fast that you will loose your license if you get pulled over, its LIGHT compared to the 750 and is easy to throw around. Gas mileage is not terrible but its not great.

I actually really like that you can drive it all out and not have to be constantly worried about the cops. If you can get a '73 they are superb quality, especially in the gear box. If you're rebuilding one, watch out for the bearing on the lay shaft in the gearbox, its the weak spot. The other weak spot is the crank seals and bearings, they don't like the ethanol. Mine has done over 100K and its done about 36K since it was last apart on the top

I actually really like that you can drive it all out

I forgot to mention the awesome sound as you put it through its paces

I had one of these back when I was in HS. Screaming quick off the line and would take a KZ900 until we hit about 70mph. Didn't handle all that great though.

76 GT 550

Suzuki%20GT550%2076.jpg

I'm not really concerned about mileage and the handling thing...we don't have any twisty mountail roads in minnesota anyway. The traffic around the metro area would probably make it very rare for me to test it's top speed.

But LUV THE SOUND!

Kind of decided on a 380.