Sign in to follow this  

New chain and sprockets.. anything else?

Hey guys.. havent been on here in years but had a quick question for the EXC gurus.

I have an '05 400EXC and im going to do the chain and sprockets over the winter. I am looking for recommendations on brand and more-so, what else do you recommend replacing while the stuff is off.

Chain roller?

Brakes?

seals/bearings?

axle?

Looking at a DID 520 X-ring (120 overkill?)

and at a loss for sprocket.

I dont go crazy on the trails and dont jump. Mostly sandy, dirt, mud, little logs, hill climbs.. pretty mellow. (Ganaraska if anyone is familiar)

Thanks!:smirk:

Steel sprockets seem to last longer and give a chain better life span. 14 tooth in the front is the minimum for me. 13T wears out quickly- too quick for me.

Rear- JT rear sprockets look good. I just got a pair for both sets of wheels.

Front- Renthal or Sunstar,

Chain- I bought DID VM X-ring. There are a lot of DID, Renthal, Tsubaki, Regina etc. They are rated, and 8100 lbs would be a good minimum strength value.

If you want a long lasting sprocket set, I would go with Ironman front and rear sprockets. Ironman are $$ but they guranteed for 1 year. I had an O ring chain and ironman set last over 2.5 years of riding. Renthals aren't worth the $$, they have a very short life.

I've had good luck with RK, DID and Tusbaki chains, go with an O ring or X ring chains. I would also look at your chain guide block and your plastic chain rollers to see if they need to be replaced. If the wheel bearings have never been replaced, IMO I would replace both front and rear wheel bearings.

While you're working on the wheels you might as well change the brake fluid too.

The last few years i have been buying the rocky mountain steel sprocket kit.I just upgrade for a brand name o-ring chain.They last just as long as the $150 set at about $70 bucks.

The last few years i have been buying the rocky mountain steel sprocket kit.I just upgrade for a brand name o-ring chain.They last just as long as the $150 set at about $70 bucks.

Interesting, I've heard that from local guys.

So much depends on how much time you put on the bike and rider level. I gauge it on a 3,000 mile lifetime, spending about $175 for chain and sprockets on the 450.

13T front chopped chain life to about 2,000 miles with 2 fronts for a rear sprocket and new chain.

I removed the shock for tightest or shortest distance sprocket to sprocket. Replaced the shock and put the bike on the stand with back wheel up. I then cut a piece of angle iron and placed it behind the top swingarm plastic so it removed all chain slack except a slight movement. I can run the chain over it with consistent tension on the VM DID. Lots of loose spots on other types of DID and Renthal.

Does it make a difference in the short or long run? Who the hell knows? More important to have correct chain tension and alignment for the life of any chain I reckon.

I'll post some pics.

Bored to death. Perfect riding weather and the Tundra fried it's console computer. It's the module Toyota technicians say never goes out.

awesome.. thanks guys. I think i'll give the Rocky Mountains a shot.. at that price its worth a go.

1. Use of the angle gauge W/ tire off the ground.

2290187430043787466NxnHsz_th.jpg

2.Vise grip on 1/4" AL straight edge.

2040481320043787466DAvEli_th.jpg

3. Get some help if necessary.

2802716060043787466QvmbSO_th.jpg

4. The required drill for setting tension and building a gauge. After the shock is replaced with wheel off the ground, measure and construct your gauge.

2782998320043787466RKsZta_th.jpg

The gauge will work fine, still need to check sprockets for wear and chain for cleaning/lubing. KTM marks on the swingarm are very accurate for some, not for others. For the alignment tool anything straight up to 14" will work. Just bore 2-5/16" holes for the 1" bolts to line up with chain pins.

Happy Motoring

GP bikes have a show discount of 15% on all parts. I bought the KTM 50T rear, aluminum center and steel outer, supposed to last 3 times longer than the original one.

You dont have to go to the show to get the discount, just call their showroom.

For my 530 I am going to run 15/50 (R=3.33). seems like a good mix for me at the Ganny.

I stock was 15/45 (R=3), way to tall for trail riding, changed it to 14/45 (R=3.215) which was a big difference and is good but a little high.

If I want even lower then i will go 14/48 (R=3.43)