Sign in to follow this  

07 150r little wheel - Shock questions

Just picked up a 150r for indoor, but a few buddies are doing woods stuff so I think I might do some double duty on the bike, and have a few questions.

I'd picked up BBR springs for the front, with new seals. Forks are shot and leaking, rear shock is shot and sagging bad. I know I probably need a stiff spring for the rear, and possibly some valving changes to the rear shock... but I wanted to toy with alternative options.

Option 1 - Rebuild the forks with 10wt oil (the middle ground for indoor/outdoor use), BBR springs in forks, rebuild rear shock, stick BBR spring on... ride into the sunset.

Option 2 - Rebuild the forks with 5 or 10wt, add the BBR springs, try swapping a spare OEM GSXR or SV shock (I've been preliminarily told they will actually be undersprung???), try to tune the forks to the shock with some spare springs I have laying around... probably get sent into a tree or over the toughblocks for cheap.

Option 3 - Rebuild the forks with 10wt, send the shock out to be rebuilt/revalved for $500... probably ride awesome, but I'm slow.

I need suggestions. Has anyone successfully got another shock onto one of these puppies that worked even a little well? If so any info on oil levels in the forks? Any suggestions on fork oil wt?

Thanks much, first post, but I registered to get this answered.

cant help much with the fork questions, but the shock should be able to be rebuilt for less than $200 unless the shaft is ruined.

I've built a lot of these bikes. It's basically the same suspension as the CR85 but with better forks. The CRF150R has actual base valves that can be tuned like the YZ & RM 85's so you know they can take a little abuse.

I don't know what you weigh but get the right springs, put new seals & bushings in the forks, rebuild the shock and you should be just fine. Fork fluid weight & valving issues would depend on your spring rates however I've never needed to use any 10 wt in them....

doc