Sign in to follow this  

bike will only pushstart, checking vales...need advice

I have a 2008 honda crf250r. I'm the 3rd owner, and I'm the only owner (that is know of) to do any type of valve servicing on the engine. The bike...within a few days of riding got to the point where it wouldn't crank at all unless I pushed it off...I decided to check the valves. Honda says the clearance on the exhasut should be .011 +/- .001......intake should be .005 +/- .001.........the exhaust was about .009.....I adjusted them successfully. The intake however is getting me stumped...(What I believe is correct, is that) where the ohc spins the lobes....should I be able to slide the feeler guage all the way under the lobes and have a clearance of at most .006? If that is so, I'm on the right track. I'm just not sure of how I was suppose to measure the clearance of the intake valves. Also.... ..........could the intake valves being completely open cause the bike to not want to crank, and only crank with a pushstart? I believe that's whats going on, just not positive....just need a little outside advise! Thanks! -Aaron

Edited by rider4life087
i had to put in "lobes" instead of "teardrop thingys" its sounds pretty unprofessional...haha

My English sucks a bit, but are you saying that your valve clearance is perfect, but the bike will only start if you push-start it? If so you have the exact same bike, problem (and I'm also the third owner) as me :smirk: I found it to be a damage in one of the exhaust valve seats. Just grinded it, and it got mutch better :bonk:

Check the valves first. You'll probably find that the intake valves are out of specs. You can re-shim them, but my best guess is that they are the stock titanium intake valves and will need replaced. Once the stock valves start moving, they don't stop. Re-shimming them is only going to give you at best a few more hrs if your lucky and the same thing is going to happen.

2008 and the valves are just going now....Wow! Good run, I would pull the head off with all the attached parts and send them off for new vlaves that will be seated in properly.

i teshimmed the intake valves....they are suppose to be .005 the closest i could get to was right intake=.005 and left was .008. tried to crank it about 5 kicks and just went to bed with no luck, i believe i might have got a bad batch of gas.... imma get some good gas and try again today, if i fo get them right, should i keep riding as they are? or should i wait till i get some new steel valves and springs?

new gas didnt do the trick. valves are all within .001 of their specified clearance. bike still will only crank with a pushstart. its even gotten a little harder to push off...im 95% sure it needs new valves, what do yall think?

its almost impossible for me to get a compression tester down in the sparkplug well. i can only turn it by the hose, u cant fit a tool down in there with the hose. it will thread about 3 turns then it tightens up a little and the hose just begins to spin..... any advice?

your not supposed to use a tool on the hose. it should just have a big o ring on the end and u just spin it on by hand, hand tight is all u need. and u need to use a leak down tester at tdc, not a standard compression tester.

Have you bothered to check the pilot jet? Easy to remove and check. I had same problems and found my pilot jet was plugged.