Sign in to follow this  

Shock spring curiosity

Hi guys!!

Someone has never tried to measure the shock spring rate after 100 hours of work ???how point loose???

An example a 4.9 how much is after 100 hours??

I measure today a 4.9 on a tester after 130 hours,factory connection spring.

6 measurement and the middle is 4.75

What was the value when it was new? Maybe it was like that from new.

The only way to really tell is measure it new then after x hours with the same tester.

yes i agree with you but i make this answer cause i mistake,i hane not try a measure on the spring when was new!!

Like floating said without knowing what it rated new it's hard to say. Seems like a lot of new springs I test will differ from what they are listed. A 4.75 could either be a stiff 4.7 or a light 4.8.... However from 4.9 to 4.75 would be quite noticable....

doc

shockdoc ,you think a spring doesnt loose rate after many hours of use??

Well can't swear on it but I've been told that they will keep their rate over time but can/will loose free length from sacking....

doc

I agree; the rate doesn't change but FL can change over time.

Spring rate is determined by wire size, spring OD, and active coils. Manufacturing tolerances for those three items can have an impact on the spring rate. Shock springs have few active coils so changes in how the end coils are formed can have a relatively big impact on the active coil count. e.g. A spring with 5.5 active coils; if the forming process decreases or increases the active coil count by .5 coils the rate will change approx 10%.

what does FL stand for?? is it free length?

many people say sagging on recent springs is not excistand??? i know it doesnt count for anything popular belief but had you notice other wise??

thanks

compare it with other springs and see the difference in rating between implied rate and actual....may you can sort of calibrate your tester this way

SO there are 2 options:

1 my tester machine mistake a little on tru rate ,measure a 4.9 in 4.75

2 factory connection 4.9 spring is 4.75

a 4.9 spring can have 4.75 on the first few mm of travel

(Open coils on the end binding ):smirk:

the ANDREANI SUSPENSION tester use the first 3mm of compression for the spring rate calculation.then racerfmx dissolved my doubts

a 4.9 spring can have 4.75 on the first few mm of travel

(Open coils on the end binding ):smirk:

Thats how the OEM Ti Yam springs seem to rate when tested with & without those plastic spacers on each end.....

doc

ive had springs tested and were 0.1 different to published rates,a few have said some ktm springs are 0.2 to 0.3 softer than published but that seems a lot to me.