Valve shimming WR250

Hi Fellow Blue Riders,

Have measure the clearance on the intake valves on my 2001 WR and could not get .03 mm between them. I have pulled the intake cam off and removed the buckets and the pads installed are 160 ,160, 180.

Do i go for new shims at 150,150, 160 or go for max clearance 145,145,165 presuming the valves seats are not stuffed.

Any experience/ help would be appreciated.

Benny

Hi Fellow Blue Riders,

Have measure the clearance on the intake valves on my 2001 WR and could not get .03 mm between them. I have pulled the intake cam off and removed the buckets and the pads installed are 160 ,160, 180.

Do i go for new shims at 150,150, 160 or go for max clearance 145,145,165 presuming the valves seats are not stuffed.

Any experience/ help would be appreciated.

Benny

Befor you reshim you need to know how much clearance you have. I see that you can't get a '03mm gage in. Can you get a smaller one to fit?

Knowing your exact clearance before you select shims will keep you from having to remove the cams more than once.

I found it difficult to use the .03 being so thin. Can you get thinner than .03 ( that is just over 1 thou) The bike definitely is hard to start cold and has to be jump started. All the classic symptoms!!!

Bennyroo

I found it difficult to use the .03 being so thin. Can you get thinner than .03 ( that is just over 1 thou) The bike definitely is hard to start cold and has to be jump started. All the classic symptoms!!!

Bennyroo

Yup, my little peabrain converter in my head isn't woking good today. .025mm is going to be the same as .001 inch and I don't think you'll find a gauge much smaller.

The bad thing is that when you're clearance has gone that low you are going to need valves. You might be able to reshim and get the machine to run ok for a few rides but the valves will go away fast from here on out.

Edited by 2grimjim

You need a selection of shims to do this properly. If you can't get a gauge under there, then go for the next size smaller until you can get a gauge under. Then go with a bigger gauge until you find the clearance with that shim under there. If its in spec, you're good. If not, then you can calculate what you need by looking at the size of the shims either side of the one you have in there.

you can get a shim kit of all sizes and 3 of each size on amazon for $68 plus free shipping. Itll be a lot cheaper than buying them individually plus its always nice to have extra and you dont have to keep ordering if you dont get the right size. here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJWTM6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2F5NN4BGKFD8K

Damn, shims here are about $5 at full retail and about $3 if you order them online. You would have to have that bike for a LONG time and adjust your valves very often for that shim kit to pay for its self in the states.

i plan on fixin up bikes on the side as a hobby so the kit is perfect for me, plus if you order the wrong size online, you gotta go order another until you get it in spec so you could end up spending $20 on a couple sizes why not get 3 of every size for a lil more.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah.. i think i will get the Hot Cams kit off ebay for about $90 aus including postage. Just as an update i went for the lower shims and got the clearances back to just below 0.10 on a inlets... you can see why a kit is more economical in the long run as it looks as if i will have to go another increment down (140 & 160). The bike compression was back to normal and ran ok but maybe i am just stalling the enevitable!!!!