Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport: DRZ 400 or TE 310?

I'm looking to get a new bike with a budget of $6000 and I'm torn between these two bikes! I want a bike that handles like a mx on the trail, but I also need to travel a fair amount of hwy miles in between.

There is a dealer in my area who is selling a brand new 2010 husky te310 for $5500 which is less than a brand new DRZ 400. Here are the pro's and con's I've come up with so far:

TE 310

Pro's:

• -Fuel injected
    -Lightweight - 246lbs
    -Better suspension
    -Awesome price

Cons:

• -Limited range, 1.9 gallon tank
    -Top Speed? 75mph would be nice
    -Reliability?

DRZ 400

Pro's:

• -Proven Reliability
    -Good range

Cons:

• -It's a tank

Would love some more input thanks!

Your bike choices are on two different planets but I can tell you that the 310 is not the bike to comute with and the drz will never handle like an mx bike.

I'd recommend a crf450x, ktm530, of husky 610...just don't expect drz reliability from them...

If you are going to be doing lots of freeway/highway riging at 65mph + id probably get the DRZ, cause the TE being so light will be a bad thing on the freeway, unless you are a fat ass, in which case, you will anchor the bike down, lol.

my DS weighs around 285 pounds and can get to 85mph on the freeway, but it being so light is very sketchy at those speeds on the freeway,

just something to think about.

they have practically brand new DRZ400S's on craigslist in the $3,500-$4,000 range all the time, check cl too.

Oh boy, it’s just not going to happen pal. Pick one style of riding and the bike to go with it…… There is no way on God’s green earth that the TE or DRZ will do 75mph safely for more than a couple miles. I get my DRZ up to 55mph and shut it down. No mas. Too light and underpowered. Try to pass a semi on a DRZ and you will be sucked up in the air flow and thrown over a lane or two. Get passed by a semi and the same occurs. Can’t imagine what it would be like on a tiny TE bike.

Stock, the DRZ is a great around town bike, does well on gravel roads, and is fair enough on wide trails.

theres something seriously wrong with your drz or your way of thinking, a drz will go 65-75 on the highway aaaall day.

I ride a my DRZ quite a bit and about half of that is highway riding and I can do 75 just fine for miles at a time. Would I want to spend hours on a highway no but it's fine for me to hop on the expressway and ride across town. I also pass semi trucks just fine. If the wind is cranking it blows me around alittle but I've never thought I better get off the road or anything.

The only mods I have on mine, is a full FMF exhaust, 3x3 mod, and a JD jet kit.

Edited by djimmy31

get a used crf450r for 2k-3k and a used drz400 for 2k-3k. I own a drz400 its been very reliable to us. I dont know about other peoples experiences but its been very nice to us. The crf is a great handling bike, feels light, agile, and tons of power. In my opinion best to go used but if you really want a new bike get a crf450x and get it plated.

Ahhhh yes, I was young and reckless long ago. Figured out it was much better to grow old and wise than die young and reckless.