Sign in to follow this  

XR250 Fork Springs - Which Ones?

I'm putting a 2001 XR250 front end on my CRF230 and I was told by John Hlebo that the stock XR springs are soft. I think they're somewhere around .39. According to Racetech's site, I need about .43 springs.

So I'm in the market for new springs but I'm not sure which brand is best and where to get them. Any help would be much appreciated!:smirk:

Use Eibach if you can get them. Check XR's Only website, they might have some available.

Racetech got their XR250 springs from Eibach and Eibach is totally out of them. I called XRs Only and they have a set of .41 Eibachs and .45 Cannons. Wondering if the .45s would be too stiff (I weight 155 without gear).

I have come across some Progressive springs, but I'm not sure what the quality is like compared to the other brands.

Any ideas?

Racetech got their XR250 springs from Eibach and Eibach is totally out of them. I called XRs Only and they have a set of .41 Eibachs and .45 Cannons. Wondering if the .45s would be too stiff (I weight 155 without gear).

I have come across some Progressive springs, but I'm not sure what the quality is like compared to the other brands.

Any ideas?

I'd say get the .41's at your weight. You also could use a .45 on one side and a stocker on the other side. That'll get you close to the .43 but if it were me I'd just get the .41 set.

And ya, no need for progressive springs.

I'd say get the .41's at your weight. You also could use a .45 on one side and a stocker on the other side. That'll get you close to the .43 but if it were me I'd just get the .41 set.

And ya, no need for progressive springs.

So .41s will really be a big difference over stock? I'm planning on doing some jumping--not MX but log hopping and small jumps. Also, the trails up here in Maine are rocky hell paths.

Are you gonna shorten the forks to lower the front end? You'll want to wait until you get a length before ordering springs.

And if you do shorten the forks, you can also cut the stock springs shorter and they'll have a higher spring rate - maybe even just right. Who knows?

Are you gonna shorten the forks to lower the front end? You'll want to wait until you get a length before ordering springs.

And if you do shorten the forks, you can also cut the stock springs shorter and they'll have a higher spring rate - maybe even just right. Who knows?

Going to leave them and use the CRF150 rocker to raise the shock. One thing's for sure--I can't find aftermarket XR250 springs anywhere!

Going to leave them and use the CRF150 rocker to raise the shock. One thing's for sure--I can't find aftermarket XR250 springs anywhere!

same prob here. i ended up calling a suspension house and they made me a pair. I used Moto pro suspension. 130 buks.

Correct springs won't make any difference on bottoming out. Pick your springs so you have the correct ride height (sag) and adjust the damping / oil level for the type of riding you do.

The stock springs should be fine for your weight, check your sag when you get it together and decide then.

If you do need springs, I ended up talking to Factory Connection in New Hampshire. They had to be custom made, but nobody else had them any longer. Good guys to work with too.

On my 250 and at 195 lbs, it was the best money I've spent.

Wait until you get it all together and ride it before you start freakin out about spring rates haha :smirk:

Best suggestion.

If you are trail riding the Racetech recommendations are way too stiff. The criteria for suspension setup is: soft enough for light occasional bottoming.

More suspension travel allows softer springs, higher speeds require stiffer springs; your setup will be somewhere in between.

Also bottoming resistance on the XR forks can be tuned via the oil level.

i am in the same boat at 170 lbs .... I am thinking about cutting my springs down 2" to make them stiffer ... making the spacer in the hard part ... has anyone done this? spacer suggestions?