what size spark plug socket for 250sxf?

i read somewhere to grind a socket down, but what size? dealer wants $62 for the ktm one:banghead:

I think it is a 5/8 and yes you have to grind the heck out of it.

I think it is a 5/8 and yes you have to grind the heck out of it.

ok thanks, i have 3 5/8 so i'll grind one down

i read somewhere to grind a socket down, but what size? dealer wants $62 for the ktm one:banghead:

I bought a 16mm deep socket for $8 and ground it down. Fits perfect!

Has anyone else ground a socket down to do this ? the ktm specific socket is really weak as its so thin, I have cracked two of them now trying to undo my sparkplug on my 09 250sxf. Previous owner seems to have cranked on it pretty well.........

http://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/?i=119040

that is the one ive broken twice now

whats best down grind down 3/8" drive or 1/2" drive ? the size is 16mm

3/8 is the one,s i use . if you have a lath use it or grind it a liitle down . not all the way ,only far anough to go in the pocket .

If anyone is struggling with removing plug and cant grind a socket down for whatever reason, Sealey a tool manufacturer i think they are UK only make a 3/8" drive thin walled 16mm plug socket which fits ! heres the link

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=12952&productdescription=spark plug&productcode=&category=6&catgroup=161&catmicrogroup=1421&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16

You need a thin-wall, 16mm, six point, deep socket. The proper ones are 19.9 mm in diameter.

Or you can buy a six point, 16mm deep socket at Home Depot for $4, and use a grinder to reduce it from about 22 mm to a hair under 20.