Sign in to follow this  

FMF exhaust

looking at getting an exhaust for my 05 and i'm wondering if anyone knows if there would be a noticible sound or power difference between the FMF Q4 and the FMF Powercore with the quietcore insert

Hello folks!

Looking for some recommendations for local shop to Dyno tune and set appropriate jetting for my CRF450X with FMF Factory 4.1 + Powerbomb header. Don't have the proper knowledge or skill set for this... Any recommendations in OC or LA would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

looking at getting an exhaust for my 05 and i'm wondering if anyone knows if there would be a noticible sound or power difference between the FMF Q4 and the FMF Powercore with the quietcore insert

When I was researching what exhaust to get for mine, I called FMF and they told me I would get better performance from the Power core with the insert than the Q4...Dont know if the sound would be any different.

I ended up buying the Factory 4.1 without the insert and the Power bomb header. It is a lot louder than stock under full throttle. Didnt seem to bad at lesser throttle openings though. But Man it sure runs good!

I am going to buy the 94db insert w/spark arrestor to quiet it down some more.

The Powercore with the quiet insert will still be louder than the Q4. I have the FMF Q4 and it's definitely quiet compared to my buddy with the powercore. I can always hear him behind me. The Q4 get's louder as it rev's though.

thanks everyone, and does anyone know of any guards made for the powerbomb header, theres lots of rocks and logs where i ide

Here's a pic of the E-Line carbon fiber heat shield on a Ti PowerBomb header. It's a little pricy. Looks trick. It's taken one good hit, and done well (you can see the scratches in the pic). But, it is a brittle material, so one good hit could crack a $100+ part.

I'm running the Ti PowerCore muffler with this. Definitely much louder than stock, but not the loudest muffler. Definitely gets loud at WOT, but I ride on OHV trails that are miles away from any houses, so I really like the meaty sound. The exit dia of the insert is 37 mm.

DSCN0480.jpg

Here's a pic of the E-Line carbon fiber heat shield on a Ti PowerBomb header. It's a little pricy. Looks trick. It's taken one good hit, and done well (you can see the scratches in the pic). But, it is a brittle material, so one good hit could crack a $100+ part.

I'm running the Ti PowerCore muffler with this. Definitely much louder than stock, but not the loudest muffler. Definitely gets loud at WOT, but I ride on OHV trails that are miles away from any houses, so I really like the meaty sound. The exit dia of the insert is 37 mm.

DSCN0480.jpg

<<<---------This guy cracked the brittle 100 part on my powerbomb. I was going up an incline in first barely going and dropped the bike over. Must have landed perfectly on the guard on hard ground and snapped it in two. It was the first time I took the bike out :smirk:.

The fmf 4.1 and powerbomb with the sparkarrestor has been a great combo for me. The arrestor quiets the sound a lot and makes it legal for az offroad use. I take it off at the track though and let it rip! I have dented up real bad and it still does ok. I am about due for another system shortly. Might stick with FMF or go MRD.

If your a trail rider , i would get the Q. I have one , and like it. Power wise you can`t tell alot of diff. from my stock one , and i`m on a 450r not x.

I am going to go look at a bike and the guy says it has an FMF pipe with spark arrestor. How can I tell if it has the quiet insert? I don't want a super loud pipe.

Thanks.

You are correct...for that muffler. I wish it would have had a Q4.

When I posed the question this AM I wasn't sure what model muffler it was but it was a Ti Powercore and FMF's website says the quiet insert is sold separately. Seems to me that you'd need to take the muffler apart to see if one is inside it. I was hoping it was easier to tell than that.

The bike was pretty loud.

The inserts slide in the back end of the muffler and come out with removing one allen screw. Here's a pic of a PowerCore. You can see the insert in the end.

PowerCoreInsert.jpg

• Like 1