Sign in to follow this  

05 450x might need rings? and alot of love

not sure if its possible to check the compression with the decompressor but i was only getting 35psi kicking it.that sounds bad to me. though it was supposed to be around 57psi. this thing has been a pain so far, just did valves, rejetted the carb running a 165 main 48 pilot and ncvs needle in the 3rd postion. fuel screw 1 3/4 out. had a 42 pilot and it wouldnt start. its still having bad random starting problems with the electric start. and wont kick start at all. at an idle if u rev it about half way and hold it there it lightly pops out the pipe constantly. and when starting it occasionally backfires bad. whats wrong with this thing?????!! ahhh oh yeah it has boysen quickshot and the last owner had a 50 pilot and stock main. that seems way to big for the pilot?? any help with this thing would be great! thanks :smirk:

yeah ill have to try that i havent checked the stator or coil. not sure on the hours had 1 owner before me and i guess it sat in a barn for 3 years. it doesnt have a scratch on it, frame pegs and cases are strangely perfect like it wasnt ridden ever.

It might had had those problems and thats why it sat for 3 years.

+1 on checking stator and coil.

oh yeah one more thing if you shine a light down the spark plug tube the piston is chared very black ive done alot of 2 stroke rebuilds and none of the ones ive pulled out have had chard pistons my plug looks pretty nasty as well gonna start there i guess than test stator and coil

Maybe time to pull the head and check the piston and cylinder walls. If there are no problems, all you'll need are some gaskets (OEM only!)

Before you get to involved you should replace that plug and try it. Comparing a 2 stroke piston to what is a normal in a 4 stroke is like compaing a apple and a orange.

not sure if its possible to check the compression with the decompressor but i was only getting 35psi kicking it.that sounds bad to me. though it was supposed to be around 57psi. this thing has been a pain so far, just did valves, rejetted the carb running a 165 main 48 pilot and ncvs needle in the 3rd postion. fuel screw 1 3/4 out. had a 42 pilot and it wouldnt start. its still having bad random starting problems with the electric start. and wont kick start at all. at an idle if u rev it about half way and hold it there it lightly pops out the pipe constantly. and when starting it occasionally backfires bad. whats wrong with this thing?????!! ahhh oh yeah it has boysen quickshot and the last owner had a 50 pilot and stock main. that seems way to big for the pilot?? any help with this thing would be great! thanks :smirk:

You have a dirty pilot jet passage above the pilot jet.

You need to replace the fuel screw and o-ring, clean the pilot passage, clean the accelerator pump nozzle, replace the accelerator pump diaphragm, inspect and lube the hot start and choke plungers, before you ASSUME anything is actually wrong with the motor.

If you service the carb, put in a plug, and fresh gas, it will start in 5 kicks.

i went through the carb 2 times myself and the shop went through it once as well so thats pretty much dialed becides having to need a rather large pilot jet (48) to run at all i think its has something to do with the the piston, plug, coil, stator, or my valves are messed up somehow. there in spec but maybe they could not be seating right or something i dunno...

Before you get to involved you should replace that plug and try it. Comparing a 2 stroke piston to what is a normal in a 4 stroke is like compaing a apple and a orange.

very true

i went through the carb 2 times myself and the shop went through it once as well so thats pretty much dialed becides having to need a rather large pilot jet (48) to run at all i think its has something to do with the the piston, plug, coil, stator, or my valves are messed up somehow. there in spec but maybe they could not be seating right or something i dunno...

Pilot jet is for Idle ONLY. Needing a larger pilot jet is a classic symptom of having a partially clogged pilot passage, or an air leak in the hot-start plunger.

If you have not done a leak-down test on the head, it's time to do so.