Sign in to follow this  

Carb cleaning

I am embarrassed to write this, but I have a 2009 DRZ400 S with only 100 miles on it with no mods other than safety mods

I decided to sell it and I am having trouble with it. It starts fine on full choke, but won't idle. I changed the gas and still have the same problem. I am 99% sure the carb needs to be cleaned because I did not use stabil over the summer, thinking I would use it.

I have no way to get it to a dealer to clean out the carb. Is there a simple way to clean it out? Can someone direct me to a thread? I don't want to try to sell it not running because I am sure it will be discounted to much.

I am a fairly handy person but most of my experience is with cars.

Thanks

Sounds like you have a dirty pilot jet. I would pull the carb and clean it. In my experience, sometimes its easier to spend a couple bucks and buy a new jet, because sometimes even after you clean them, they remain dirty. The hardest part of this task is removing/reinstalling the carb. Remove the float bowl to access your jets. NOTE* The microfiche is a handy tool.

Well you have to wrestle the carb off to do much good. After that cleaning is no different than a car. Don't soak the carb in any immersion cleaner other than water based. There is a seal cap over the idle mixture adjustment screw that has to come off to access the screw for cleaning and adjustment. Drill thru the cap using a drill stop so as not to hit the screw beneath the cap. Then sheet metal screw to pull the cap.

As an alternative you can try to just rotate the carb in place, remove the float bowl (the screws can be difficult. Might want to replace with 4mm .7 pitch, 16mm length new screws) That will expose the pilot jet, starter jet and main jet. Make sure each is replaced in the original position. Probably easier to replace the pilot jet than clean it. 22.5 is the original size. 25 will work better if you are not doing any other changes.

That's a shame you're going to sell the bike because of a dirty carb/junked up pilot jet. Do you have your service manual for the bike? It should explain the best method of removing the carb.

On my 98 cr250, I just loosen the air box side rubber clamp, then remove the 3 air box bolts and pull the air box off and voila, there's the carb for easy access. For a temp fix spray out your jets with carb cleaner and then blow them out with compressed air. Don't stick anything inside them, although I have heard guitar string works.

The best thing is just to order new jets (few bucks a piece) and just replace with new. Also check your manual to see what your jetting should be as you should atleast have (2) setups: a summer vs. winter jetting setup. If you're familiar with cars, then this should be cake man. You can do it! Just gotta dive in.

You can use carb clean or brake kleen in your carb, but just make sure not to spray it on any rubber seals or o-rings as it dries them out. I use a PB blaster lubricant for those, just soak them on a towel while you're cleaning the rest of the carb! Good luck and don't sell it, learn!

Thanks. Where is the best place to get the jets? Would I need gaskets as well?

That's a shame you're going to sell the bike because of a dirty carb/junked up pilot jet. Do you have your service manual for the bike? It should explain the best method of removing the carb.

On my 98 cr250, I just loosen the air box side rubber clamp, then remove the 3 air box bolts and pull the air box off and voila, there's the carb for easy access. For a temp fix spray out your jets with carb cleaner and then blow them out with compressed air. Don't stick anything inside them, although I have heard guitar string works.

The best thing is just to order new jets (few bucks a piece) and just replace with new. Also check your manual to see what your jetting should be as you should atleast have (2) setups: a summer vs. winter jetting setup. If you're familiar with cars, then this should be cake man. You can do it! Just gotta dive in.

You can use carb clean or brake kleen in your carb, but just make sure not to spray it on any rubber seals or o-rings as it dries them out. I use a PB blaster lubricant for those, just soak them on a towel while you're cleaning the rest of the carb! Good luck and don't sell it, learn!

Thanks. I'm not selling it because of the carb, but rather I am don't really use it. I just have more fun with cars. Plus it is so difficult to find places to ride in NJ. No off road spots anymore and the roads are crazy tough.

Just be careful with the float bowl gasket & you should not need a new one. If I was selling, I'd pull the carb, remove the jets and overnight soak only the jets in SeaFoam solution, then soak in straight Simple Green for an hr or so. You have nothing to lose and it might clear it without ordering a jet.

No go ahead and order the float bowl gasket.

You can go to www.motosport.com and enter your year bike, then look at their OEM suzuki section and look at their carb file that will show you every piece of your carb and allow you to buy whatever you need. They also have a "optional" carb file you'll see where it's the same image but you can order the different optional sized jets, needle, slides, whatever and Motosport always has quick 2 day shipping.

Go Yamaha dealer - get Yamaha Carb cleaner (black 1 qt plastic bottle $15)

drain float bowl with the drain screw on the bottom of the carb -

pull fuel line from tank -fill carb with the cleaner - twist throttle 10 times -

let bike sit over night - drain float bowl again -hook fuel line to tank-

turn fuel valve to PRI - start bike -- if it dose not run good repeat above-

The yamaha carb cleaner works Great - no need to take carb apart -

Go Yamaha dealer - get Yamaha Carb cleaner (black 1 qt plastic bottle $15)

drain float bowl with the drain screw on the bottom of the carb -

pull fuel line from tank -fill carb with the cleaner - twist throttle 10 times -

let bike sit over night - drain float bowl again -hook fuel line to tank-

turn fuel valve to PRI - start bike -- if it dose not run good repeat above-

The yamaha carb cleaner works Great - no need to take carb apart -

Oh wow that is a great idea! I'll have to try this soon...Lucky for me my local dealer is both Honda AND Yamaha, but I may just order the stuff.

The bowl gasket is a molded rubber "O" ring. It rarely needs to be replaced. I can't see why it would need to be replaced in your case.

I would be interested to know if that Yamaha carb cleaner works.

I'm betting it sure as heck does, especially with the method mentioned above. I'm die hard Honda guy, but I've noticed Yam has some great products.

If Honda's never existed, I'd be a Yam guy.

I'm wondering if the carb was filled with a freaking quart of carb clean, would any of it overflow into the air boot or intake???

I've had mine off and apart almost a dozen times...still on the oem float bowl gasket.

You can inject Seafoam right into the carb, but usually you end up doing a teardown/clean/re-build anyway. Curious to see if the Yamaha stuff can revive a dead carb w/out taking anything apart.

Yeah I'm sure but doesn't hurt to go ahead and have a backup. Nothing worse than needing a tiny little piece of brass, or rubber, and having to wait half the week to get them!

Get your jets from JD Jetting. They are $5 each and the service is excellent. As for the gasket, yours should be fine. If it doesn't want to fit back in the channel, let it dry thoroughly (as gas makes them expand slightly, in my experience anyway).

^^ listen to the above people. Clean it and ride it its not hard. And where are you located at in jersey? Theres alot of spots I ride my quad at in jersey.