Sign in to follow this  

2010 300 Fork Question

Starting tearing my forks down to replace the seals, and have a few questions.

Note: I bought this bike used.

1) I found 2 spacers on the right fork (.187" and a .090") and only 1 (.187") on the left side. Is this normal?

2) How do you determine the preload the manual has guidelines based on "comfort", but what should I be basing my setting off of? bike sag?

3) Fork oil level? I cannot find this in my manual, either. I know this is somewhat user specific. I set my 06' at 110mm. Is this a good starting point for the 2010 for now?

the different spacers are because fork springs are never exactly the same legnth, they could be as much as 2mm different in legnth, just put the spacers back how you found them,

The fork oil level is listed as an 'air gap' which is the measurement from the top of the fork tube to the level of the oil with the fork fully collapsed without the spring installed, my '11 300 was 110mm airgap if i remember correctly, i think slavens racing has a vid on youtube showing a good way to fill WP forks.

Edited by KTMsandwitch
found youtube link

Shouldn't I measure the fork springs and ensure the spacers are right before reassembling? If they are the same shouldn't I put in equal spacers?

I have watched the video numerous times and fill mine by that exact procedure. Just wasn't sure if there was a major change for the 2010

Thanks!

Springs could different rate as well, slightly. I would set them the same and lower the fork height to 130mm, test. You can then add 10cc's at a time if needed.

No major change.

Edited by gmoss

Can you add oil to your forks without tearing them down or taking them off the bike? Just asking because I tried something the owners manual said and want to see if it worked before I had the suspension rebuilt.