Sign in to follow this  

2002 CRF450R should i buy ?

owner is asking $2,000 so im guessing i could get it down to 1800 or so. Sounded very responsible and knowledgeable on the phone in his late 50s and doesn't ride anymore. He says the bike has only 15 hours on it and it has never been raced, just track and trail ridden.

should i avoid this bike? i cant remember if i read somewhere that the 2002 year model couldn't turn worth a damn but correct me if im wrong.

Im riding woods but i can handle the power of the bike etc. I want a bike i can take to Colorado with me ( theres some great terrain out there) the weight of the bike is no concern to me.

sounds like a fair deal if the bike does have low hours and should be in "new" condition. in the LA area i see the 05's/06's go for around 2-2.5K used.

That's a lot of money for an '02. They have been selling for $1,500 for years. An '05 for a couple of bucks more is a terrific bike.

The 05's and up have a better frame which makes the bike feel lighter and will turn better. Personally, I wouldn't buy an 02' even if it was a steal but thats your choice.

If you are a large rider or ride sand the 2002-2004 CRF is good. MPS is a builder who specializes in putting 500 2 stroke motors in CRF 450's and there builder told me the 2002 thru 2004 when done worked the best for them and OHIO is mostly sand and that is where MPS is located.Biggest problem with that bke chassis is radiators are to vunerable but for offroad I swear it is one of the most comfortable bikes ever made.It was made for open outdoor and in that regard it is good.