Sign in to follow this  

Chain and Sprockets Advice

Looking at picking up a new chain and sprockets for my 2007 KX250 and I am wondering which brand is the best ?

The local dealers seem to have D.I.D. chains but can order in anything .

My bike will be trail ridden and not on the track so durability is more important to me than ultra light weight .

I was thinking about a Renthal Twin Ring rear sprocket . O ring or non O ring ?

What's the best way to go ?

If you go with an O-ring chain, you need to get a countershaft spacer or the chain will rub the case. I put an O-ring on my 07, and noticed the rub marks after a few rides.

i have bought just about every brand of chain and nothing has held up like the rk and regina oring chains. they are the same company from what i understand. its the only chain ive only had to adjust once. it breaks in and doesnt stretch again.

any steel sprockets are going to wear well. i use the jt sprockets because they are the cheapest things that exist and the more expensive ones perform no better, maybe just a little lighter.

i hear the ironman sprockets are the best. i might splurg next set.

I ended up buying a D.I.D. x ring 520 chain . It came highly recommended by both local delaers . Expensive as heck though . $165.00 + tax was the cheapest local price . Oh well . Time to figure out gearing and get some steel sprockets brought in .

I hate paying more than I have to , BUT , I also see tremendous value in the local suppliers , and having them around for me . Some of the guys that work there have "been there and done that" so to speak and have really helped me get up to speed . So , in this regard , it's a trade off that I am willing to pay for .

oh my god you got reamed. i could have got the whole set and had money left over, local, online, etc.

dude i got a sprocket for ya... lol

Keep in mind that I'm in Canada and that buying online from the U.S. is not quite as inexpensive as it seems . By the time that the exchange , shipping and duty is factored in , the difference is not as great as it seems . It adds up quickly .

Canadians ALWAYS have to pay more for the same part . Crappy , but true .

Sometimes the difference is slight , other times , it's huge .

Yep , 120 link is what I got . . The chain on the bike now has 116 links and it does not need any more . So , when I figure out what I am doing for gearing , I'll measure and cut the chain accordingly .

Set your rear adjuster middle way and hopefully it works out so you can adjust it forward rear ward with your new sprocket changes. Its good to have a couple chain setups that match the sprocket combinations so the adjuster and alignment is minimal at the track.

BTW get a chain breaker so you can add and take away without ruining any links. Harbor Freight sells one for under $10

That's exactly what my plan is . With the 116 chain on it now , it's at the very end of the adjustment range . If the chain were to stretch or if I went to a smaller sprocket combo , I might not be able to take up the slack .

I just have to find a low cost chain breaking tool now . I've got one for my mountain bike but I suspect it will be too small for a 520 chain .

I got lucky and got a 140 link rk x ring gold chain for 35 bucks on ebay brand new. I should have bought all 3 but oh well! Primary drive chains actually arent bad considering the price, and they only stretch initially and then dont move much after that. their rear sprockets(steel) are good like any brand that has steel on the menu. but by preference to me it makes sense to spend the extra 5 bucks on a renthal front sprocket, considering how low the price already is, you might as well get the cleaning grooves to keep your chain cleaner as you ride. We also have an ironman rear sprocket and damn that thing is wicked awesome tight! its probably the best thing since twinring sprockets just lighter! but it is very expensive next to a regular steel sprocket. depends on the budget and how you view things. as you can tell I have my views on certain dumb things.

I can tell you right now that when I went from stock to 13/48-49 I had to remove a link. My only option right now is to go with a 12t front sprocket, or new chain to get back to stock ratio.

I'm not into wasting money needlessly , but , I will spend extra without hesitation to get a better product if the performance / durability is better .

To get more you generally have to pay more and I have no problem with that whatsoever .

My only issue right now is knowledge . I've been away from the bike scene for a VERY long time and the products that are available now are completely different that what was available way back when .

Sometimes it's better to seek advice from others with more experience than to simply assume . That's why I post here .