Sign in to follow this  

Winter tinkering...

So today it is cold as crap here today and Im thinking what I could be doing to my bike. I have this 97 kx 250 and wanna fix it up some. This winter I plan on learning how to, and redoing my suspension. I am also wanting to help it out in the looks dept. Anyone know of anywhere I can get any reasonable priced graphics for a 97? I am really considering ordering some newer graphics and modifying them to fit my bike. I may also do as bansheedave said and convert over to a 99 tank and shrouds so I can more readily get graphics. I trail ride mostly and cant see putting a lot of $ in graphics to get scratched all to crap everytime we go out. I am also thinking about powdercoating the frame this winter to freshen her up some. Maybe even stripping the paint on the swingarm and polishing it, or powdercoating it.

I have only had this bike a few months and really am a novice when it comes to dirtbikes anyway. I dont want to sink a ton of $ into it now, but still want it to look decent . Mechanically this bike is great 195psi on the top end and no other known issues right now. Any one have any ideas on some things to dress her up some? For me any powdercoating or painting is really cheap, my brother owns a paint and powdercoating shop and I can go use his stuff anytime I want:banana:

This is what it looks like now:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=97484

I don't put graphics on my bikes........Looks fine as is to me. Grease the swingarm and linkage bearings, change the fork oil and brake fluid and have fun with it.

Ed

black powder coat on frame..it would be easy since you should tear it down and service/inspect ALL bearings..cables.. suspension components.. stearing.. controls

its not as bad as it seems, and is actually pretty fun and rewarding when you put it all back together and its even sweeter than before

im doing the same to my 96 250 ... re-greasing swingarm bearings etc ... found my bottom shock bolt stripped and almost out :bonk: shock seal broke loose and leaked oil down into bolt and somehow it loosened up on its own and almost fell out :lol:

bike is in GREAT shape thanks to PO barely using and taking great care of her :smirk:

i had planned on new top-end , front tire , and now have to add a shock re-build to list :lol:

if you buy a graphics kit beware that a lot of them have a clear vinyl cover on the seat portion to protect the graphics. makes em stay looking nice but is a bitch to get a grip with the knees. my 97 came that way and i ditched it in favor of a black grippy one.

'94-'98 graphics will work on your bike. Keep an eye out on ebay. Rocky Mountain MC does graphics. I am considering there side panel kit rirgt now.

if you buy a graphics kit beware that a lot of them have a clear vinyl cover on the seat portion to protect the graphics. makes em stay looking nice but is a bitch to get a grip with the knees. my 97 came that way and i ditched it in favor of a black grippy one.

Totally 90's. Integrated graphics :bonk: Look great and enhance the pucker factor. :smirk:

1132328202.jpg

Totally 90's. Integrated graphics :bonk: Look great and enhance the pucker factor. :smirk:

1132328202.jpg

thats alot of green.

Right now I am thinking about doing the frame translucent flat purple, really a bad a$$ color IMHO. I like to be different maybe a kinda throwback purple frame, that looks better than the original purple will be the ticket. I actually stole this idea from my 11 yr old who was going to do that with his frame but went chrome instead...

costs $700+ to chrome a frame, I looked into that.

Not when you know the right people:ride: his is already done. He has a 95 kx 80 and the frame was a little rough so it didnt turn out great, but looked better than expected. There is a new chrome powdercoating that actually looks decent now. I think it is sold buy powder by the pound but I cant remember for sure.

thats a real nice looking 80:ride: those bark busters look huge on the bike and thats the shinest pipe i think ive ever seen on a bike that wasnt chrome.

Thanks, we acutally just put regular black powdercoating on teh fatty. We were cusious how it would hold up and so far it has been surprisingly well. The only places is where it comes out of the motor. When we were playing in the mud the cold mud did dull the powder right there, but it does polish out... But I am not polishing it :smirk:

get one of those cool aluminum pipe guards to put on it as an extra precaution. unless it would vibrate threw that awsome paintwork. as for polishing, i wouldnt either. its the kids bike, they ride it, they clean it:smirk: