Sign in to follow this  

Oset 12.5 Remote Kill, Brakes

I picked up a used Oset for my 4yr old girl. She rides it good but her hands are too small to operate the brakes and she's scaring me. The speed adjustment knob doesn't do anything on this bike, I'm thinking it's defective, stuck at max speed. I'll try to order a new one but I'm also thinking a remote kill and better brakes would be nice. Does anyone know of a remote kill switch setup for these things? Suggestions to modify the brakes?

Thanks!

Get a new speed control switch so you can turn it down again, and you will be fine. Our 12.5 bike had the switch go out, and it would full throttle. When I called OSET about it they were very helpful. I do notice the more the speed controller is turned down the more on/off the throttle is. Our bike gets wet all the time and I am amazed we had not had more problems.

Good luck.

You should also check to ensure that the potentiometer is plugged in. On several of our bikes I dc'ed them to see if they were causing issues. The replacement part is only about $13 plus shipping, or they would probably tell you the resistance spec of it, and you may be able to get a replacement at radio shack.

Once you have a working potentiometer, you don't need a remote kill. You can literally dial it down to a speed that you can run and catch.

For front brakes, you can either get new pads from a bike shop, or at least skuff up the pads you have and clean the rim w/ alcohol or brake cleaner. Also, you can take the spring wire off one side of the caliper and bend it to take some of the pressure off, then remount it. It may take a couple tries to get just the right about of spring.

The rear brakes on the 12.5s have way too much spring for little hands. You can remove one of the 2 springs near the band brake ( I think I cut one of them out w/ cutters).

Also, the levers for the 12.5's don't have much leverage. For $15 you could get some teckno (sp?) brake lever/perch's that would give more leverage.. just make sure they have adjustable reach.

When our 2 year old was riding, he definitely couldn't operate the brakes, so it was flat ground only for him.

Trials Central has a reasonably active OSET forum.

Hope that helps,

Pete

Edited by flypigs