Getting my first bike! Help please!

if you don't like mixing gas your definitely not going to like the maintenance of a 250f.

finding a reliable 250 for under $3000 is almost impossible in my experiences. i would look at 2 strokes with your budget.

I'm totally open to 2t! just want a good trail bike. I don't mind mixing gas as long as the bike is reliable and won't foul up plugs. Any good 2t recommendations?

everyone seems to love the kdx200 seem to be a good trial bike in your price range. the ktms i think are the best but they are costly. i have only rode a 2 stroke a couple of times so I'm not very knowledgeable about them but i hear good things about the kdx line

2t recommendations? The KDX, as I suggested earlier. I owned a 2002 KDX220 until I recently sold it to a friend. It was/is a good trail bike...very reliable and decent power. The KDXs have plenty of low end power, so you will be able to lug them around in first gear easier than a high strung 250F. They are excellent beginner trail bikes. As mentioned, the KTMs are better, but you will pay way over your budget for a KTM.

Just snag a cr500, youll never grow out of it :bonk: jk but ive heard all positive about the kdx's from people on this site. I honestly dont think ive read anywhere about the downfalls of the kdx's. ? Never owned or ridden one, just thought i would put my thoughts in.Also id stay away from a 125 for woods if your a begginer, it would be quite a struggle at times seems they really dont have any low end power at all really.

I'm telling you, go witha kdx 200/220. If it's jetted right and everything checks out it shouldn't foul plugs. The only real maintinence you need to do to a 2t is replace the top end either a VERY debateable amount of time(I just do it every winter) and replace transmission oil. You should do topend jobs on a 4t also but not as often. With a 4t you need to adjust/shim/replace the valves every now and then. and theres so many more parts it's got a rendency to "Grenade" (more prelevent in the racing models) which isn't an every day thing but if does grenade you need to replace pretty much every part in that area. I had a teacher tha thad one grenade andhe had to replace every sinle part, in other words he would have had to bought a new cylinder and cases and everything in between. He just bought a new motor obviuosly.