Sign in to follow this  

You're gonna want to see this.....

So what are my options? I obviously need a new piston, but what can i do about the cylinder wall? It's got gouges that you can feel with your finger nail, it's got gouges you can can feel with a two by four. Last time it lived it had warmed up probably four minutes, then i started driving it, drove for a few minutes in mid level rpm range, then right in the mid rpm range it fell flat on it's face, totaly died. I ran a compression test, came up 60 psi so i knew something wasn't right, when i tore the head off this is what i found. It's a 2001 kx 60, I am WAAAAYYYYY to big for it, but money is extremely tight and I bought it for like 200 bucks, So I wish I had a bigger bike but i'm stuck with it.

My biggest concern is if this had something to do with me being nearly 140 ibs. So thoughts? any help appreciated, thanks.

Pics:>http://kawasaki60.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12795463

a replate, new piston and you will be set. looks to me like you ran it real lean. since your here in Michigan, if you ran it in this colder temp, it wasn't jetted correctly.

thats the exhasut side right? it looks like severe dirt ingestion, but that would have shown up on the intake side. if that is the exhaust side then i would guess there was a lack of lubrication. what oil are you running and at what ratio? yes you are big for that bike, but it should haul you around fine with out a failure like that.

the ONLY way to fix that cylinder correctly is to ship it to langcourt, millennium tech or someone similarly capable of doing the work and have them either; weld up the gouges rebore and replate, or if theyre shallow enough you could just bore and plate, or replace with a sleeve which i dont recomend. all of which will be $300+ and then you need a piston at the minimum. these bike are high revvers, and unless you just did a crank, i would be looking at that to, especially with the recent catastrophe.

used cylinders on ebay are a gamble, unless it was replated or sleeved for the sale i wouldnt buy one. you can go with a cast piston to save a little money. as much as i hate even mentioning this option; you can get a piston and sleeve kit pretty cheap, and if your in a larger city you should find a motorcycle machine shop that will bore the cylinder and press it in cheap. it needs to be port matched. if you are handy with a porting tool, you can do this yourself and save some more money.

Oh wow, did not want to see that. It should buff out though! :smirk: The bottom end still COULD be okay, but who knows. Check for play in the crank. You ideally want to do top ends before this happens. Well, were you jetted too lean? Premix type and ratio? How long has this piston been installed?

Always run 32:1, a local shop can probably bore it out, it's deep but i don't think it's to deep to bore. sending it to millenium tech will really cost 300+? that's not what i wanna hear. One more thing this happened in like 70 degrees ferenheit so the jetting should be ok. There's no play in the crank, the top bearing is a little iffy, i'll replace. Thanks forall the replies! keep em coming! Oh yeah and i use klotz super techniplate.

Something tells me that didn't just happen. That had to be building up over time. All I know is pistons usually wear on the exhaust port side, but not like that.

Oh yeah and i after it gets bored out, where can i get a piston? Does wiesco make different sizes in case you have a bored out cylinder?

Oh yeah and i after it gets bored out, where can i get a piston? Does wiesco make different sizes in case you have a bored out cylinder?

Yea man go to www.motosport.com and enter your bike. Wiseco Pro Lite piston kit is what I just put in my CR250. Best of the best. They have a standard size, .020" over and .040" over...Might even have different options for your kx.

hey black, where are you located? im moving to columbia very soon. as for the piston, it looks like a lean seize or a cold seize.

heres mine. i lean siezed mine open throttle 5th gear. wasnt jetted right.

121.jpg

I would definatly at the very least drain your oil a few times too as you don't really want peices of your cylinder/piston in your crankcase but you probb alrady know this :smirk:

I would definatly at the very least drain your oil a few times too as you don't really want peices of your cylinder/piston in your crankcase but you probb alrady know this :smirk:

It's a two stroke. The engine and the transmission are separate and thus there is no oil to drain. However with top end damage like that I would most likely be doing a top and bottom end rebuild, but I've been accused of overmaintaining more than once.

That looks like a lean seize to me.

lol there's no boring that jug out it needs to be re-plated. If your local shop say's they can bore it out for you, walk away and never go back. end of story.

lol there's no boring that jug out it needs to be re-plated. If your local shop say's they can bore it out for you, walk away and never go back. end of story.

what he said

It can be bored out and have a sleeve inserted. Would probably be the cheapest route.

It can be bored out and have a sleeve inserted. Would probably be the cheapest route.

actually, sleaving the cylinder cost more than replating. i already looked into it. you have to buy the sleave. pay to bore and install the sleave. buy the piston. pay to bore the sleave to the piston. and if the sleave doesnt get installed right, it has to be redone. on top of buying all the upper end gaskets and seals.

lol a sleeve lol

actually, sleaving the cylinder cost more than replating. i already looked into it. you have to buy the sleave. pay to bore and install the sleave. buy the piston. pay to bore the sleave to the piston. and if the sleave doesnt get installed right, it has to be redone. on top of buying all the upper end gaskets and seals.
I had Iron dog sleeve in a YZ80. I bought the sleeve and piston. He installed and matched it up for $100.

$100 labor

$80 for sleeve

I doubt you can get it plated for $180 with additional shipping cost both ways.

iron dog quoted me WAY more to sleeve my current cylinder. i did alot of buisness with him over the years so he gave me a discounted price.

A plated cylinder is roughly $200 + shipping. A 60cc should be less. sleeves plain suck. I have one in my RM cylinder. They wear out faster than a plated cylinder. so your next top end will NOT just be a piston, but a bore/hone, and you need to fit an oversize piston....which costs more money unless you have a boring bar in your garage.

With a plated cylinder you just slap in a stock piston.

Not to mention all the irregularities on the ports.