Sign in to follow this  

XR 650R Oil filter cover bolt question, how to fix

Well this is a question from an aborted post from a few days ago. Will try to keep it short. Noticed when I changed oil the other day, the long bolt which threads in to the engine case would not tighten down. Took inner clutch cover off and nothing obvious. Question is: do these have thread inserts in the case or are the threads cut into the case. Not sure how to fix. Would love to just drill and heli-coil, but not sure if I can drill into an insert already there. Honestly can't tell if there is an insert or not. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.:smirk:

Bill

use a left hand drill twist bit then heli coil it. make sure you can find a helicoil tap thats long enuff first

Your back:lol:

Yup,,,threads are made right into the alloy,,,,,,you need to put in a heli coil,,or timesert........helicoils tend to fit in holes that don`t have alot of alloy surrounding them......if the area is thin,,try a heli coil first...

Got a pic of the affending hole:thumbsup:

B

Or a tight b...,,r would use a slightly larger non metric more solid threaded bolt and let it cut its own thread..Only for the imperfectionist that type of fix.

Note I said "slightly",,that means fractionally bigger,,That casing metals so soft any decent steel bolt will cut it's own thread in it.,Just take it easy winding it in and out while cutting the new thread and it should work fine.,Absolutely no need for a torque wrench when tightening those bolts up..use a spanner and up to resistance then go a fraction more.,Done

Or a tight b...,,r would use a slightly larger non metric more solid threaded bolt and let it cut its own thread..Only for the imperfectionist that type of fix.

Note I said "slightly",,that means fractionally bigger,,That casing metals so soft any decent steel bolt will cut it's own thread in it.,Just take it easy winding it in and out while cutting the new thread and it should work fine.,Absolutely no need for a torque wrench when tightening those bolts up..use a spanner and up to resistance then go a fraction more.,Done

:lol: what the bloody heck.......why not just pound the bolt into the hole with a 40 ounce ball peen hammer Horri:bonk: cut off what you don`t need and make orings from fishing line..:bonk:

You butcher you:smirk:

:smirk:

B

Now being cheap would be putting JB Weld in the hole,,then inserting a 6mm stud.....then at least it would be a reusable 1/2 arsed repair..:lol:

:bonk::smirk:

This is getting funny,,i need a drink:smirk:

B

Thanks guys. Brian, glad you came back to my new thread.:bonk: Looks like it is going to be a Heli-coil then. It seems like the threads start very deeply in that hole so just wasn't sure there was a thread insert already there or not.:smirk:

Bill

Now being cheap would be putting JB Weld in the hole,,then inserting a 6mm stud.....then at least it would be a reusable 1/2 arsed repair..:lol:

:bonk::smirk:

This is getting funny,,i need a drink:smirk:

B

You've a ways to go before you fully qualify as a pig butcher..May sound a bit rough but believe me that sort of thing works on that crap alloy,,Done it a few times on those smaller bolts when I can't be arsed with inserts or helicoils..The JBweld sounds entirely Mickey Mouse,,Roughs rough but some roughness is better than others rough,,Captain Cackle :-)

Time I got stuck into the busted 89..Spent too much time mucking about today Later.

You've a ways to go before you fully qualify as a pig butcher..May sound a bit rough but believe me that sort of thing works on that crap alloy,,Done it a few times on those smaller bolts when I can't be arsed with inserts or helicoils..The JBweld sounds entirely Mickey Mouse,,Roughs rough but some roughness is better than others rough,,Captain Cackle :-)

It can work Horri.......but if i had a dollar for everytime i seen someone put an oversized bolt in a hole to "selfthread" it..........and then bust the case open,or a piece off it because the soft alloy does not like outwards pressure.........i`d have retired to Australia by now,,a rich man....

It`s not that it can`t be done.....but very few people can do stuff like that without screwing it up further where a heli-coil is a permanent fix...

I never suggest doing stuff like this,,because i can guarrantee you the guy i tell to do it will break something,,and i`ll feel like crap about it for a week,,,:smirk:

Now.out in the middle of nowhere,then anything goes to get it running again:ride:

B

Agreed..It's ok if you are careful.,89s fixed,,Definite CDI failure,,no spark so I threw in a 250 one and I have huge spark,,Yet to fire her up to see if the 250 one goes ok in the 600,,five minutes to ignition..

Houston we have cleared the tower,,Running good again though a bit rich with the 168 main,,going back to a 165 or maybe I'll lower the needle a bit..

Agreed..It's ok if you are careful.,89s fixed,,Definite CDI failure,,no spark so I threw in a 250 one and I have huge spark,,Yet to fire her up to see if the 250 one goes ok in the 600,,five minutes to ignition..

BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM:smirk::bonk:

So..you want me to fix your CDI...

Send er over bud:thumbsup:

On a side note..if you take a regular bolt.......and cut a nice v groove up the side of it with a bench grinder.....you can make a self tapping bolt out of any bolt......works great in a partially stripped hole........if oiled and run in and out a turn at a time like a proper tap:smirk::smirk:

B

Don't think it's worth fixing Brian,,I have a few spares of them so it's not important,,Thanks for the offer though,,Now onwards to lowering that needle or changing out the 168 for the 165,,Decisions,,

Don't think it's worth fixing Brian,,I have a few spares of them so it's not important,,Thanks for the offer though,,Now onwards to lowering that needle or changing out the 168 for the 165,,Decisions,,

Dropping the needle would lean it at moderate throttles Horri,but wide open she`d still be rich.........so if it`s rich wide open,,i`d down size the main first,,or drop the needle and smaller main...then you see where you need to go easier,,bigger change across the board..but what do i know:smirk:

Seriously.......i been drinkin...again..:smirk:

B

Dropping the needle would lean it at moderate throttles Horri,but wide open she`d still be rich.........so if it`s rich wide open,,i`d down size the main first,,or drop the needle and smaller main...then you see where you need to go easier,,bigger change across the board..but what do i know:smirk:

Seriously.......i been drinkin...again..:smirk:

B

I haven't really been thrashing the thing to hard as it's only got about 200ks on the new engine,,Plug just looked a bit black after yesterdays breakdown excursion..,Only just changed up to the 168 from the 165 a few days back as she looked a bit lean with it in,,Anyway I decided to set the needle clip two down from top and leave the 168 in it.,,I'll see how it goes when I take it out for a proper test with that 250 CDI etc.,,Can't be bothered today.,maybe tomorrow.

Surprisingly the hanging idle seems to have dropped back to normal though that's early days yet,,had this before after tearing the carb down,,What I did notice when looking at the needle (new) was it had a few sort of scratch type marks in it right where it goes through the top of the slide,,Gave them a bit of a clean up with 320 grit,,Guess I'll find out tomorrow if that may be the hanging idle problem,,A garage test of that's not adequate,,needs a good ride.,anything to report after that you'll be the first to know.

Yours reminds me of when I over tightened the same bolt and it sheared. I got everything ready for a heli coil and lucked out big time when I pulled the case to find a nub sticking out enough to grab with vise grips and remove.

Good Luck

I broke an oil filter cover bolt on my XR650L a while back... used a torque wrench and got what I deserved. Anyway, I used a left hand bit to get the remenant bolt out of the hole and was getting prepared to do a heli-coil job.

However, I waited until I had a new bolt from the local Honda dealer first. When I tried the new bolt it threaded right in and snugged up as it should. Turns out the bolt did the stretching and stripping of threads, then broke, whilst the case threads were spared any damage. You may want to test a new bolt first before you begin drilling out that hole.

Got the heli-coil in and a new bolt and all is good. The threads were just too buggered for a new bolt alone to fix it. The hole barely cleaned up with the 1/4 inch drill bit but all is good now.