Sign in to follow this  

what should i do to set up my 04 rm125 for woods

i have a stock rm125 i ride woods and do hare scrambles what can i do to set it up for woods

thanks,

josh

Edited by jaston

This is from a similar RM125 woods riding post:

I have an 04 RM 125 used exclusively for woods racing and riding. The 03 is basically the same chassis, but the motor has a slightly different bore/stroke, but the differences are not noticeable in the woods, as I used to ride my friend's 03 all the time. I've put a ton of hours on mine over the years, and here is what I've learned:

1. Like others have said, the clutch is a weak point. You can get away with filing the fingers when the basket gets notchy, but budget for a replacement. The cheap Tusk clutch kits seem to work fine for plates.

2. Buy a big tank (e.g., IMS). If you are doing long races, it will save you a ton of time in the pits. If your son is fast, he will suck that stock tank dry quickly.

3. The stock suspension is serviceable in the woods, but this is a case were money spent on a revalve is money well spent.

4. Buy an extra set of linkage bearings now. We have multiple bikes, but the RM design just seems really subject to water and mud intrusion.

5. Run a 51 rear sprocket.

6. Remove the countershaft sprocket cover to prevent mud packing.

The RM is really a great bike. My son is on a big wheel 85 now, but when it comes time for a full size bike, I will definitely snap up any good-condition RMs!

I have a large tank that came on my 06 if you'd like it. I ride motocross mostly and can't stand the ergo's on it for that purpose. Not sure what brand it is or anything but i'll check into it if you'd like.

If you can find out some details and post a pic of it that would be great ....thanks

Cycra low profile bark busters

Renthal X ring chain and sprocket set (13,51) gearing

New brake pads Carbon Graphite X series

Renthal CR bend bars

New fork seals

Can anyone recommend a skid / bash plate ...???

Also should i put a fly wheel weight on it or would it drag it down...???

thanks

josh

Edited by jaston