cam chain

I looked at going with a Pro-X cam chain, but couldn't find any data/info that proved they were better/stronger than the OEM chain. As a result, I replace mine every 55 hours.

I don't think you are going to find an aftermarket chain that lasts any longer than the OEM chain. Maybe equal quality for a little less money, but that's about it.

As far as Pro-X engine components go, they are fairly middle-of-the-road in quality. Personally, I'm not a fan of Pro-X pistons.

Remember, a cam chain is just like a drive chain. If you put a new chain in an engine with a worn out drive sprocket (on the crank) the chain isn't going to last as long.

The OEM chain is made by Borg-Warner Japan. The Pro-X chain is made by Borg-Warner Japan, but for some reason, they charge 3 times as much as Yamaha does for it.

There was, mostly within the '08 model year it seems, a sort of "bad batch" thing that went on for a while where there were an unusually large number of bikes jumping time because of kinked chains (chains with tight and binding links). The one common thread was that the owners of these, as far as I know, were not as diligent with their oil changes as I recommend. But it's hard to see the first oil related failure in an engine being the timing chain, either, so I never really did figure out exactly what was behind it, and no one else has to the best of my knowledge. I use OEM chains, and have zero trouble with them.