Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke stock exhaust advantages??

hey guys i was wondering if there is any advantages to running stock exhaust on a 2 stoke, is it better for the motor? will it expand the life of the motor? i know that stock exhaust doesnt burn as much fuel as aftermarket but is there any other advantages??

On a YZ250 the stock pipe is better than most of the aftermarket pipes on the market. Advantages?

It's already there.

It works better than the one the magazine wants you to buy.

It's more robust than most of the pipes on the market.

hey guys i was wondering if there is any advantages to running stock exhaust on a 2 stoke, is it better for the motor? will it expand the life of the motor? i know that stock exhaust doesnt burn as much fuel as aftermarket but is there any other advantages??

In general, the OEM exhaust is the best all around exhaust because it is tuned for the widest range. Aftermarket exhausts change the power characteristics, ie..more low end power, more over rev, etc...

id keep it stock or maybe get a fmf fatty w/ a shorty.. this is a video of us riding a yz250 with stock pipe and runs just a fast

Most riders probably do not benefit enough from an aftermarket pipe (and as noted above, the stock pipe may be the best anyway) to justify the cost. If you want to spend money to improve lap times, spend it on tires, suspension, and coaching. All of those things are likely to provide more 'bang for the buck" than a pipe. I always use the stocker until it gets smashed beyond repair, and then I mount an aftemarket pipe.

Please post in the forum for the bike make and model. I tire of constantly moving the posts.

im sorry man i didnt think i had to be specific about it i was just asking in general as in any 2 stroke

It depends on each model and what type of powerband you prefer. OEM exhausts are generally pretty good.

Why? a General 2 stroke exhaust question; where does it belong?

Not all bikes are equal. Some bikes greatly benefit from a pipe, some do worse. To chose a pipe, you have to know the bike, the riders ability and the type of riding. Otherwise, it becomes a terribly vauge and pointless thread providing no value. It is very close to a n00b saying "I want to go pro, what bike should I buy".

Back in the day, the manufacturers couldn't build an expansion chamber to save their lives. Heck, my ol RD350 doesn't even have one. The exhaust is about as advanced as a weed-eaters. On those bikes it makes a world of difference. Newer bikes though, they've learned some things over the years. Now days they are almost always efficient and designed to make the most of the engines porting. A lot of times you can gain a few hp with a different pipe because it compresses the power band into a smaller area, but on overall you lose out by not making the most of the porting (not always the case, manufacturers don't always get it right for some unknown reason).

Not all bikes are equal. Some bikes greatly benefit from a pipe, some do worse. To chose a pipe, you have to know the bike, the riders ability and the type of riding. Otherwise, it becomes a terribly vauge and pointless thread providing no value. It is very close to a n00b saying "I want to go pro, what bike should I buy".

Well, it seemed to have been a valuable enough question that everyone has contributed in some way. Well, almost everyone. I guess maybe Mods should exercise the same principles given to the rest of us. If you have nothing to contribute, have no interest, or find no value in a particular thread, perhaps you should skip it. :smirk:

Well, it seemed to have been a valuable enough question that everyone has contributed in some way. Well, almost everyone. I guess maybe Mods should exercise the same principles given to the rest of us. If you have nothing to contribute, have no interest, or find no value in a particular thread, perhaps you should skip it. :smirk:

You are correct except that Mods are entrusted with managing forums. A 'What pipe is best' thread is only applicable for a particular model bike. This thread is generic. It is not like hand grips, tires or helmets. The only threads more annoying are the 'what oil...'

Nearly half the threads posted in this area do not belong here. Every day, I (or another mod) read every thread and move half.

A thread is like an open door. People will always walk in for no reason. As a mod, I have to close the door, move the door to a room it belongs to or ask the builder to stop making doors to no where. Issues like this come up every vacation time (winter, spring and summer)

im sorry man i didnt think i had to be specific about it i was just asking in general as in any 2 stroke

I appreciate your words. 'One Size' does not fit all in many cases. Pipes, wheel diamter, suspension travel, and a slew of things are really bike/rider/usage specific and cannot ever be answered in a generic term.

Sort of like a person saying "I am sick'. All you can really say then is 'get better'. If the person says I am a male, 35 years old, non-smoker, rabid drinker and I have yellowed eyes, then you could say "Liver Failure'.

See what I mean?