Sign in to follow this  

mrd and fcr vs just the mrd?

what kind of gains would i see from running the stock bsr36 with the mrd pipe vs also getting a fcr to go with the pipe? also how much is my gas milage going to suffer with the fcr carb? right now i almost always get at least 60 mpg and i could live with getting a little less for more power. I deffinatly plan on getting the pipe for all the reasons every one wants one for, but i just dont know if the carb is worth it. my bike is mainly used for my morning commute and every once in a while a back road drive. i keep off the high way as much as possible. thoughts?

what kind of gains would i see from running the stock bsr36 with the mrd pipe vs also getting a fcr to go with the pipe? also how much is my gas milage going to suffer with the fcr carb? right now i almost always get at least 60 mpg and i could live with getting a little less for more power. I deffinatly plan on getting the pipe for all the reasons every one wants one for, but i just dont know if the carb is worth it. my bike is mainly used for my morning commute and every once in a while a back road drive. i keep off the high way as much as possible. thoughts?

For the reasons you stated I would think the FCR would be more important than the MRD (which is a beautiful pipe).

or instead of $500 or so on the carb would other things like a new springs all around, case savers, skateboard wheel sliders, stainless front break line and maybe some other goodies be more worth it. my only hesitation with the carb for right now is that i am in the military and hopefully will be soon, but to where is still not known. right now i am stationed in utah and ride around 5500 ft to about 9000ft. i have rejetted the bsr36 no problem but i dont want to have to be working on a brand new $500 carb that i had set up for here from a pro. plus if i "break it " while working on it after a move it may be easier to swing getting a "replacement" with the wife. as far as the carb being better than the pipe for my wants maybe but i want that loud thumper dirt bike sound right now i feel like if u went down the road and bought a new camaro and it was just super quiet or a quiet harley thats just boring. plus loud pipes save lives

FCR over the pipe. Cams and the pipe next.

You add a pipe now, you have to rejet. You drop in ar density, you have to rejet. Easier to rejet a FCR then the BSR too.

Making noise without the 'go' is obnoxious.

plus loud pipes save lives

No they don't I can tell you from personal experience...ask everyone

If you don't have any of the basics like case sliders, then start there and build your way up.

FCR over the pipe. Cams and the pipe next.

You add a pipe now, you have to rejet. You drop in ar density, you have to rejet. Easier to rejet a FCR then the BSR too.

Making noise without the 'go' is obnoxious.

^This--I did it backwards like a dumb ass at first:bonk:

I'm on the right track now and lovin' it!!!:smirk:

With the mods i have now, I get anywhere from low 40's to high 40's, all depends on the wrist

MRD does have a bling factor.

Third times a charm?

• Like 1

Disclaimer here- going against the grain here on thumper talk. More of an ADV rider type, Adventure touring, prefer sensible mods for durability, ease of maintenance and comfort (which includes auditory comfort!).

MDR- noisy and looses some low end grunt due to open pipe i.e. less back pressure, gains in high end HP. Off road you want low end torque!!! A little weight loss over stock.

FCR- gas mileage will suffer, reports of 44-50 mpg, secondary roads 55mpg. Some will dispute my claims. Pain in the ass to install and remove and make jetting changes. A little too responsive off road while standing due to pumper carb, but can be managed. Harder to access choke.

3x3 Mod with stock carb, more responsive than stock but not the FCR. Easier to work on and do jetting changes. Mileage still 60 mpg.

Invest in professional suspension valving.

Case savers aren't an option, but a requirement!!!

Oh well, let the bashing begin....:bonk::smirk:

Disclaimer here- going against the grain here on thumper talk. More of an ADV rider type, Adventure touring, prefer sensible mods for durability, ease of maintenance and comfort (which includes auditory comfort!).

MDR- noisy and looses some low end grunt due to open pipe i.e. less back pressure, gains in high end HP. Off road you want low end torque!!! A little weight loss over stock.

FCR- gas mileage will suffer, reports of 44-50 mpg, secondary roads 55mpg. Some will dispute my claims. Pain in the ass to install and remove and make jetting changes. A little too responsive off road while standing due to pumper carb, but can be managed. Harder to access choke.

3x3 Mod with stock carb, more responsive than stock but not the FCR. Easier to work on and do jetting changes. Mileage still 60 mpg.

Invest in professional suspension valving.

Case savers aren't an option, but a requirement!!!

Way to Rational. We want passion!

Way to Rational. We want passion!

:smirk: ha, ha, ha, that was kind!!!!

Practical.....based on experience when 2,000 miles from home and all you've got to fix the bike is what ya brung......same rational when riding in my back yard.....

oops, almost forgot my passion is MILES

.....My other bike is a BMW, guess that explains it......

I'd get it just for the bling, then run the bike at the right temps so the pipe turns between brown and bluish in color.

The Fcr is a performance carb, the BSR36 is not,,,

Performance costs ,so expect an increase in fuel consuption with an fcr ..

Keep saving your bucks and do the Fcr and Mrd at the same time..

so i have been thinking about it and here is how i think that i am going to do it. with taxes the fcr and mrd and the manual fan over ride and free power mod from eddie. treat my self to some case savers asap and when i get the money work on my suspension. i dont want to go to crazy with the drz but i am not opposed to spening some money on it

...FCR- gas mileage will suffer, reports of 44-50 mpg, secondary roads 55mpg. Some will dispute my claims. Pain in the ass to install and remove and make jetting changes. A little too responsive off road while standing due to pumper carb, but can be managed. Harder to access choke.

I can change the needle in five minutes with the FCR, pilot jet in two minutes, main jet in one minute. Not possible to do that with the BSR.

Both carbs are 5 minutes to remove, ten to put back.

I agree with the choke comment but that is only an issue once a day for 10 seconds. Once you know where to touch, it no longer is a issue.

Never such a thing as 'too much responsiveness'.

Mileage goes down mostly due to the happier wrist.