Sign in to follow this  

Poor running XR650L question

Hello all! 1st post, 95 L, 9800 miles. Bike has White Bros E series muffler with 10 discs, foam filter, 120' +/- elevation. I did Daves mod with 55-160 jets. I rode it for a couple of miles and ran perfect. Trailered it up to the Mendocino NF for a camping trip ran ok when hot but hard to start and stalled a lot until warmed up. Got home tried to ride it and it was bad, backfiring like crazy, stalling-hard starting. Took the carb apart, clean as the White House bathrooms, plenty of fuel, no clogged tank filter. Re jetted the carb with 58-158 jets, same deal if not worse, Starts right up when cold with choke, 5 seconds later, stall, cant keep it running, gunshot backfire, wont start. I killed the battery trying to get it going. One thing I noticed was the 58 jet was quite a bit shorter than the 55 I took out, it doesn't fit flush anymore. No obvious vacuum leaks but there is a small crack in the insulator, but I doubt its that. I haven't checked the cdi, I cant spring for a new one right now and I don't know anyone that rides a motorcycle near me let alone find one to borrow. The other thing I haven't checked is the valves, the P.O. supposedly had them done recently, would a 120 mile trailer ride throw the valves out? I doubt it. So my question is, whats going on? I've had two L's and a 600R before this one and never had these issues. Im sure you guys are tired of reading posts asking whats wrong but any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post

Mine is occasionally a bugger to start when hot, but runs great at all other times.

Give us a hint where in California you're located. I'll be happy to test your CDI unit in my bike if you think that might be the issue.

It's not that hard to check the valves. It's worth knowing how they're set, just for the peace of mind.

I`d be checking the valve adjustment first,who knows if he actually did a valve adjustment,,and was it done right..next spray the boots with carb cleaner while running ,,if the engine dies or picks up speed you just found a vacuum leak..,,don`t keep riding it...if that`s ok (doubtfull)...i`d take the CDI out,,smack the back of it all over with a screwdriver handle......if it runs better there is a thread in the stickies at the top of the page on CDI repair someone posted..

B

What's the plug look like? I usually start by pulling that and you can get a good idea if it's burnt to a crisp or oil fouled.

If the plug looks ok, I'd look for cracks in the carb/motor connection. CDI is a possibility, but running out to buy one is an expensive way to troubleshoot.

Ok thanks guys for the replies. I don't suspect the cdi but I banged, put it back, checked fuel, still plenty of flow, sprayed carb cleaner on boots, no vacuum leaks, and fooled with the idle speed, runs longer before stalling and no more back fire but still stalls after a minute or so and I have to wait a minute or so before it starts up. I'm going to check the valves but I don't have those fancy two way angled feelers and might have to order them. There is a ticking at idle (sounds like an exhaust leak but its not) that seems to go away as I rev the motor, Im not sure if its a bad plug wire or what oh and Im in Vacaville

I changed the plug so it hasn't been run long enough. The old plug was dark

You don't need feeler gauges. They're handy for seeing how much the clearance changes, but not required to adjust the clearance.

Loosen lock nut, tighten adjuster until it contacts valve, then back it out 1/6 of a turn. It'll be perfect.

The pitch on the screw is 1mm, or .039 inches. 1/6 of a turn = exactly .006"

You don't need feeler guages.

Loosen lock nut, tighten adjuster until it contacts valve, then back it out 1/6 of a turn. It'll be perfect.

The pitch on the screw is 1mm, or .039 inches. 1/6 of a turn = exactly .006"

I'm going to learn how to do that. But with the feeler gauges the first time to be sure of the back-off amount. That's a nice trick.

Well I adjusted the valves and everything seems to be well, I havnt ridden it cause Im waiting for a chain slider to come but sounds and runs fine now. Thanks to everyone for their help :smirk: