Sign in to follow this  

more problems, wont start again..

The bikes an 05 and the whole motor was torn apart and the crank and piston was replaced the other month. The intake valves were also replaced less than 10 hours ago, exhaust are unknown. But anyway i rebuilt the bike and it would not start, it took about 20 minutes of kicking too get it going, but once i had it going i took it out for an hour then stopped, tried too start it again but nothing. So i took the bike home and found the valves too be tight, so after reshimming them correctly i rebuilt it and kicked it thinking it would be fine, turns out that wasnt the only problem. So i then stipped the crab and cleaned the carb put it all back together and it started after a few kicks, thinking this was the problem sorted i put the bike away but never took it back out for a few weeks due too the weather being rubbish. Brought it back out too see if it would go this week, but again nothing. I was advised from a friend that it could be a faulty wiring loom as it was a common fault, causing spark too break down under compression. But this still didnt do the job. I then re checked the valves, re cleaned the carb, changed the oil and tried again, still nothing. Having ruled all that out i stripped the head off it too check the cylinder and piston as i have heard the piston could be the cause even though it had only an hour on it, but the cylinder was fine. I am now lost for what too check or do. If anyone had any suggestion they would be appreciated. Sorry for the huge paragraph but i thought i would give you as much info as i could. Thanks alot!

Double check your timing first of all. Since you adjusted the valves incorrectly once, is there a possibility that they still are out of specs? Did the bike run ok before you took it apart? That would eliminate the electrical issues you might think you have.

i will dpuble check timing, but yes valves are completely fine, my friend who has rebuilt many crf engines checked them and said they were perfect. Yes the bike ran perfect before the rebuild, it started first or second kick hot or cold.

i put the bike back together tonight, checked everything, kicked it for a while then it burst into life, i let it idle on the choke for little bit then put the choke of then gave it a few revs and it died then i couldnt get it going again.

Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Blip the throttle a few times before you try to start it. I have to blip the throttle 5 times on some of them. They run for about 10 seconds and die like 4 times. Once it warms up a little, it should stay running. Make sure you have the idle up a little so when the choke is pushed in, it stays running.

i blip the throttle at least 5 times every time i try too start it. i even tried putting fuel directly into the cylinder and kicking it too see if it would go, to see if it was a fuel problem.

Spark was fine the last time i checked, that was one of the first thing is checked for, I will see what like it is tomorrow. I thought the compression was low but my friend said his 05 had the same if not less.

the first time i pulled the spark plug out and checked today i was getting spark, i tried it again for spark and im not getting at all now.

Disconnect the kill switch first and see what you have then. If still no spark, the stator is the next step. The coils rarely go bad. I have seen a few bad stators. Not real common, but something that could be gone bad.

kill switch was already disconnected, and yeah i was going too borrow a stator off my friends bike, too save buying one and finding out thats not the problem. Stator or coil was what i was thinking today when it couldnt get spark. Thanks for your help!

replace the plug as well, when they go they go. even if they are sparking when removed