help me choose 2009 wr250f exhaust

I really like the sound of the Two Brothers but the slip on is only for the wr250x...and I don't know if it fits the wr250f. I found the complete system for $400 but would rather stay at $300 or lower.

I want an exhaust that doesn't sound like a bunch of engine noise at idle, as I have heard some so quiet the engine noise is horrible. I don't really have to have a big name brand but not opposed to it either. The Lexx is crappy at idle for engine noise...and kinda sounds like a girly name. I want a deeper rumbling sound.

Any ideas? Please don't just spit out brands and types....I want to know what you know about them and why you do or don't like them. Thanks!

WR-250X is different from any WR-250F.

Do you mean that you want one that drowns-out the engine noise at idle?

I have seen videos on youtube of peoples' exhaust, and many just have so much engine noise. I'm not sure if it's the video camera doing crappy recording that seems to amplify engine noise, or if the engine is just so quiet at idle that it sounds like a lot of engine noise. I don't necessarily want one that's obnoxiously loud, but want a deep sound that at least helps hide valve noise a little bit.

When reading descriptions of exhausts, they are sometimes just so empty, when it comes to information. It's like watching the idiots on QVC talk about a rock for 45 minutes without really saying anything valuable at all. I mean...the description of the FMF Q4, and the FMF powercore both sound pretty much the same to me, as do many others. I'd rather hear personal reviews than base my decision on a manufacturer or distributor's descriptions.

I have seen videos on youtube of peoples' exhaust, and many just have so much engine noise. I'm not sure if it's the video camera doing crappy recording that seems to amplify engine noise, or if the engine is just so quiet at idle that it sounds like a lot of engine noise. I don't necessarily want one that's obnoxiously loud, but want a deep sound that at least helps hide valve noise a little bit.

If you have an 250F with any audible valve noise you have bigger things to worry about than a new exhaust.

If you have an 250F with any audible valve noise you have bigger things to worry about than a new exhaust.

I kinda doubt it. I just bought it new from the dealer. I've only had it about 2 months.

Engines always make noise. Even if you just assemble it and turn it by hand, it makes noise. Couple that with the speed of idling, and if the exhaust doesn't hide it, you will hear it. I just don't want to hear engine noise. With the stock exhaust, it's pretty quiet. The guys that I ride with actually complain that they can't hear me coming up behind them on the trails.

For example, listen to this bike... you can hear the engine noise at idle.

same with this one:

When the camera moves to the side of the bike, you know you're not hearing the exhaust "wind" actually hitting the microphone.

Perhaps it's crappy recording, I dunno. Maybe they sound better in person.

Maybe I'm just too picky. I mainly just want one with a deep sound.

I just don't want to hear engine noise.

Maybe I'm just too picky.

If you have a stock WR exhaust, they are very quiet and they really kill performance.

I have an '07 WR250F with the FMF Q4 and Mega bomb header. It's fairly quiet (but nearly as quiet as the stock exhaust), sounds good, and made the bike run MUCH better.

If you have a stock WR exhaust, they are very quiet and they really kill performance.

I have an '07 WR250F with the FMF Q4 and Mega bomb header. It's fairly quiet (but nearly as quiet as the stock exhaust), sounds good, and made the bike run MUCH better.

Do you hear much engine noise at idle? Any knowledge on power gain compared to other exhausts? I'm thinking most aftermarkets will perform so close I'm better to choose by sound and price. Did you have to rejet?

I really don't understand your hangup about engine noise. I would rather have to put up with some engine noise than having my ears bleed form a loud exhaust.

For comparison, your bike with the stock exhaust is about 85dba (dba is decibles, a measurement for sound levels), most MX bikes with stock exhaust and most aftermarket MX systems are about 99-100dba and the FMF Q4 is between 93-96dba.

Regardless of which type or brand exhaust system you purchase you will have to rejet your bike.

As far as price, the Q4 can be found for about $350.

Remember, how much land we are allowed to ride on is influenced by how much noise our bikes make. In Colorado, OHV's (dirt bikes and ATV's) are limited to 96dba and riders can be fined $75 for non-compliance. The same goes for spark arrestors but the fine is higher in National Forrest's ($150). Most other states either have sound limits laws or have laws pending.

What 2grinJim says^^^; EXACTLY what I was thinking. Not sure why idle exhaust noise is a factor....

Engloid,

I have a question for you- how noise sensitive is your current riding spot AND how noise sensitive is every future riding spot? You would be surprised how many people who didn't mind you were riding a dirtbike, all of sudden will get really cranky after your bike is sporting a loud pipe. Sort of like the friendly neighbor's friendly dog which doesn't stop barking- after a short time, you will begin to dislike the dog. And when the barking continues, you will REALLY dislike the dog and you won't think too much of the neighbor either.

Be sure and do all of the free mods to your bike. Your bike is a dog right now with no power and sounds like crap. It's very hard to describe what an exhaust sounds like. If you are looking for the sound of a 450 you're not going to get it from any exhaust system out there. The best advise I can say to you is go on YouTube and look up different exhaust systems on your bike. Don't look up exhaust systems on a Honda 450 because no way your bike will sound like that.

When choosing an exhaust please think of the public and the future of our sport. Think quiet and not like an open pipe dragster

I've ran a few different pipes on WR's for a long time. I seem to have ended up with an FMF Powercore Ti. Saying that, I have had a Q4 for a while, no complaints.

For closed course I run the Ti in open form.

For trail riding I put in the quiet insert. Less spooked horses and terrified dogwalkers that way.

As has been said above...No-one rides with us on trails with a competition pipe.

I really don't understand your hangup about engine noise. I would rather have to put up with some engine noise than having my ears bleed form a loud exhaust.

I want to be in the middle somewhere.

For comparison, your bike with the stock exhaust is about 85dba (dba is decibles, a measurement for sound levels), most MX bikes with stock exhaust and most aftermarket MX systems are about 99-100dba and the FMF Q4 is between 93-96dba.

Good info. Probably not much difference you can even tell without electronic monitoring equipment.

Regardless of which type or brand exhaust system you purchase you will have to rejet your bike.

The dealer is putting in the GYTR baffle, AIS removal kit, and rejetting to the jets that come along with the kit. ..and I'm thinking that it will be closer to the flow of an aftermarket...and close enough that it's not going to be worth

a 1hp gain to rejet.

As far as price, the Q4 can be found for about $350.

Is that what you would reccomend?

Remember, how much land we are allowed to ride on is influenced by how much noise our bikes make. In Colorado, OHV's (dirt bikes and ATV's) are limited to 96dba and riders can be fined $75 for non-compliance. The same goes for spark arrestors but the fine is higher in National Forrest's ($150). Most other states either have sound limits laws or have laws pending.

We have nothing here. The place I ride most is about 70,000 acres of trails...no horses, no houses, no hikers.

I have a question for you- how noise sensitive is your current riding spot AND how noise sensitive is every future riding spot? You would be surprised how many people who didn't mind you were riding a dirtbike, all of sudden will get really cranky after your bike is sporting a loud pipe. Sort of like the friendly neighbor's friendly dog which doesn't stop barking- after a short time, you will begin to dislike the dog. And when the barking continues, you will REALLY dislike the dog and you won't think too much of the neighbor either.

The place I ride, the only people I encounter are other riders...and within seconds, they are our of earshot. It's really not a problem. I don't do track riding or anything like that. Typically, I may ride with 2-4 other guys, and they complain more about not hearing me coming.

Be sure and do all of the free mods to your bike. Your bike is a dog right now with no power and sounds like crap. It's very hard to describe what an exhaust sounds like. If you are looking for the sound of a 450 you're not going to get it from any exhaust system out there. The best advise I can say to you is go on YouTube and look up different exhaust systems on your bike. Don't look up exhaust systems on a Honda 450 because no way your bike will sound like that.

Good points. I'm a bit leary of the videos on youtube, because most video cameras have crappy audio...and many people are doing video on their phones now too. That's why I want to hear reviews from people about what they actually heard in person.

As for free mods... I plan to leave the airbox lid on, but may take snorkel out. Throttle stop is done. Grey wire is done. GYTR baffle and AIS (along with rejet) will be done when the dealer gets the parts in. I'm half tempted to go ahead and just cut the factory baffle. I don't know that there's much more for free mods out there....is there?

+2. Unless you are racing and such a good rider that after carb, cams, all the suspension work and hours practicing, you need more, leave the stock system on (but open the tip, it is overly corked). Think about everyone else. If you must, get a YZ muffler from a similar model.

As mentioned...nobody else to think about. 70,000 acres is a big place. Not only that, but based on what's been posted, the aftermarkets aren't much louder than stock anyway.

I finally pulled the plug and just ordered one. I was considering the FMF Powercore Titanium, but just kinda wanted to get something different...and FMF is everywhere. They seem to be on about 80% of all bikes.

Anyway, I went with the Vance and Hines... for a little bit of uniqueness. I will post up and let you all know how I like it.

V&H is same as old White Bros. Loud IMO.

I had a Lexx MXe on a YZ250F. Ran standard spark arrestor. Quiet but not durable due to lame hoop that connects back to subframe. Pipe vibrated over time and wore gouges into can.

Put a motoworks SR4 G2 on. Louder at idle but quieter upon rev out. Put the spark arrestor in it too. Much more durable than Lexx.

Another one to consider is DG. They're making WR pipes now.