Sign in to follow this  

Clutch stuck/not working.

Today I changed both my engine and tranny oil. I filled it with Honda Pro GN4 10w-40. When I pull the clutch in, the cable moves and activates the clutch but when I try to change gears with the clutch in, it's still in gear. Basically the clutch doesn't work.

I filled to the approximate level of oil. It hadn't had oil in it for 2 months. It is also 20 degrees outside. What could the problem be?

plates are stuck together from sitting... u might have to pull them out to unstick em and inspect if u cant get em to brake loose riding it. They may need replaced.

plates are stuck together from sitting... u might have to pull them out to unstick em and inspect if u cant get em to brake loose riding it. They may need replaced.

Well shit. Hopefully when I go riding sometime this week and the clutch heats up, it will unstick. The bike only has 18hrs on it so I highly doubt they need replacing. But just incase, I better be stockpiling money for a Hinson.

:smirk: Now just to try and start the bike and see if anything else is wrong with it after sitting for 2 months.

I agree with above but thats because I thought u had started it. How do you know the clutch wont disengage if u havent started the bike yet? If the bike is off and in gear and you pull the clutch in you cant ever roll the bike. That doesnt mean your clutch is bad, its just that there is not enough weight on the bike to spin the clutch pack so the tire just drags. Its completely normal if that is what you mean is going on.

If thats not what you mean and the plates are stuck together just disregard it, get the bike running up to temp and do a couple hotlaps and it should loosen back up when coated with hot oil and spinning at a few thousand rpm

I agree with above but thats because I thought u had started it. How do you know the clutch wont disengage if u havent started the bike yet? If the bike is off and in gear and you pull the clutch in you cant ever roll the bike. That doesnt mean your clutch is bad, its just that there is not enough weight on the bike to spin the clutch pack so the tire just drags. Its completely normal if that is what you mean is going on.

If thats not what you mean and the plates are stuck together just disregard it, get the bike running up to temp and do a couple hotlaps and it should loosen back up when coated with hot oil and spinning at a few thousand rpm

I've pushed the bike plenty of times in gear with the clutch in...:smirk:

I tried bump starting it today at at decent speed and the clutch pack never spun. After sitting for 2 months with no oil I'll bet the plates are stuck. I'll be able to work on it again later this week and I should be able to start it and get a couple laps in. I'll report back then.

It should bump start even if the plates are stuck. When you pull the clutch lever in you are DISengaging the clutch, when you let out on the clutch lever the plates engage and turn the motor, so even if the plates are stuck the bike will run perfectly normal when bump started and riding or in neutral.

The bike will roll if the bike is running and in gear and you have the clutch in, but 99% of the time no dirt bike is going to roll when its in gear and not running. There is just too much weight to spin. The easiest way to tell......

Put the bike in gear and hold the clutch lever in, kick the bike over, if it lurches forward when you kick it than your plates are stuck together (or your clutch is bad), if it does not lurch forward, your clutch plates are not stuck and your clutch is fine.

It should bump start even if the plates are stuck. When you pull the clutch lever in you are DISengaging the clutch, when you let out on the clutch lever the plates engage and turn the motor, so even if the plates are stuck the bike will run perfectly normal when bump started and riding or in neutral.

The bike will roll if the bike is running and in gear and you have the clutch in, but 99% of the time no dirt bike is going to roll when its in gear and not running. There is just too much weight to spin. The easiest way to tell......

Put the bike in gear and hold the clutch lever in, kick the bike over, if it lurches forward when you kick it than your plates are stuck together (or your clutch is bad), if it does not lurch forward, your clutch plates are not stuck and your clutch is fine.

I'm almost positive I tried that last part but I can't remember the outcome. I'll probably try again on Thursday and see what's up. Thanks for the help.

Ahhhh crap. Mine does that:foul:

I once had this problem,

I put the bike on a stand (with wheels off the ground) and started it, then dropped it in to gear and went through the gears...

Sorted the problem out, you might have a different situation though.

Might be worth a try

Yah dont worry too much guys, its just tacky oil sticking the plates together. Just bump start the bike and ride it around for a bit, they will loosen up once the oil gets warmer and thinner, not a big deal.

Yah dont worry too much guys, its just tacky oil sticking the plates together. Just bump start the bike and ride it around for a bit, they will loosen up once the oil gets warmer and thinner, not a big deal.

but if lurching forward when kicking in gear is a definite sign of a bad clutch, then I need to get a new clutch.

but if lurching forward when kicking in gear is a definite sign of a bad clutch, then I need to get a new clutch.

stuck or bad. If they are not stuck and the bike lurches when kicked then you need new plates.