Sign in to follow this  

gas tanks

They'll work on a 600 as I had one on the 89 before I got an original, but as Brian says 650L ,,No,, They don't line up perfectly with the 89 600 sidecovers quite right and need a bit of padding at the rear to raise the back for the seat attachment but are an acceptable fit if you're pushed.,,Front mounts also need a bit of modding (short extensions) to get one on a later 600.,

Not trying to hijack the original thread; but has anyone else had problems with stock XR650R and XR400R gas tanks cracking? I have an '06 XR650R I bought new and in the last 4 months it developed cracks on both sides. This last weekend popped like a cheap plastic cup. My '01 XR400R stock tank all but shattered when I clipped a tree in the forest this last summer. Neither bike has had excessive exposure to sun light (kept in enclosed attached garage that doesn't get over 85 degrees in the summer). I keep them both clean and put a coat of wax on them every 2 - 3 months. I use car wash with wax in it to clean them. I've got 4 CR500s; one from '87 that have never had a problem with the tanks. Could it be something to do with the ethanol being put in gas?

It is the Ethanol fuel causing the issue. It's wreeking havock on plastic fuel tanks accross North America. The alcohol in the fuel is causing the tanks to swell, especially the bottom of the tanks. Caswell makes an epoxy coating that claims to resist Ethanol fuel so unfortunately, this is your only hope in combatting the problem. You want to avoid long term storage with Ethanol fuel in the tanks.

There are a couple of class action lawsuits currently filed within the motorcycle and marine industries on the Ethanol fuel issues. Wether anything comes of it is a crap-shoot as class action suits take forever to settle, but you can pretty much bank on it that Ethanol is here to stay.

I am currently in the process of using caswell epoxy tank sealer to coat my clarke plastic tanks with epoxy tank sealer on a 650L. My purpose is to seal in fumes away from decals to keep them from peeling. This may help you in a similar way. If you can seal the fuel from the plastic. Your fuel tank may not be effected by the fuel. Just throwing out ideas. Numerous people have had luck with caswell epoxy and clarke and acerbis fuel lanks.