Why can't Jawbone Canyon provide a quality off-road experience?

Jawbone Canyon used to be a pretty incredible place to visit, but over the last few years all we have seen is one trail being closed after another. KEEP OUT!!! STAY OUT!!!! YOU DON'T BELONG HERE!!!! say the signs that have been posted everywhere. Amazingly, they've done it WITH OUR OWN GREEN STICKER MONEY. Jawbone Canyon is actually a designated "OPEN AREA", which means you can ride anywhere you want within the confines of the canyon. That's great if you're an A-rider and you like massive hill-climbs, or if your favorite OHV activity is riding a sand-wash to the Jawbone Store. But what happens if you'd like to venture outside of this canyon and into the desert to explore the "Limited Use" area that surrounds Jawbone? What if you're looking for a quality single-track loop to ride? These days you're out of luck. ALL OF THE QUALITY TRAILS HAVE BEEN CLOSED. The only "trails" that remain open within the Limited Use Area are super wide, meandering fire roads. They call them trails, but they are really just dirt roads, and they're lame for off-roading. One gauge I use to determine this is..... you can drive a 1996 Toyota Rav4 on any and all of it..... or a Yamaha Rhino side by side. These kinds of roads do not satisfy the needs of experienced motorcyclists. And that's exactly who many of us are. Truthfully, these roads don't even satisfy new riders, such as my wife, who has only been riding for three years. She doesn't even want to go back to this area because she finds it lame and boring. And as usual, she's right.

For 30+ years I had been riding quality trails, not fire roads, in this area. What happened? Why have they spent so much time and energy (and OUR money) closing all the decent trails? I'm told that these trails were officially closed in the 1980's, but it wasn't until recently that the BLM decided to enforce these closures. Wow. Really? We have this massive amount of PUBLIC land between the Jawbone open area and the Dove Springs open area, and all of it had to be closed down except for a handful of wide fire roads? Who made that decision? It sounds like the Sierra Club and other environmental extremists might have had a hand in it, no? Why do we allow the management of OHV's in this popular area to be so heavy-handed? Is anyone else tired of seeing so many sweet trails lay in waste without anyone being able to enjoy them? Why can't we have a few decent single-track trails that would connect the two open areas, while exploring some of the beautiful canyons and ridges contained within that region? Zero toleration for single-track? Why, exactly? Anyone? Anyone? Consider other BLM managed areas nearby: California City, Last Chance Canyon, Cuddeback Lake, for example. I'm pretty sure none of these OHV areas have land designated as "open", yet they still provide quality single-track within the areas designated as Limited Use. What happened with Jawbone and Dove Springs? It's all gone!

The real question here is, "Can we do anything about it?"

• Like 1

We can start by getting every Democrat, Brown, Feinstein, Boxer etc. out of office. They have their own agenda. Without any regard to the citizens of the state. Watch when one of those lose their job. Maybe they'll start listening to us again. Corruption at all levels. IMO.

• Like 2

Truly think California City, Last Chance Canyon, Cuddeback Lake have better riding... not for long !

It's really decided by one person that speaks to land owners and BLM and the State and has an organization that is very efficient at getting green sticker grants to do these things. Contact Ed Waldheim of the Friends of Jawbone and have a conversation. Don't waste time with my opinion or anyone elses. Just call the man and then come tell us what you propose to make it better.

Truly think California City, Last Chance Canyon, Cuddeback Lake have better riding... not for long !

It's really decided by one person that speaks to land owners and BLM and the State and has an organization that is very efficient at getting green sticker grants to do these things. Contact Ed Waldheim of the Friends of Jawbone and have a conversation. Don't waste time with my opinion or anyone elses. Just call the man and then come tell us what you propose to make it better.

Jeff, I just spoke with Ed. He says that the OP is mistaken and anything / everything is 100% open in and around Jawbone as far as the eye can see and riding opportunities not only abound, but have never been so plentiful in California.

Everyone can relax, it was a false alarm and the sky IS NOT falling!

You are welcome & enjoy... ?

We can start by getting every Democrat, Brown, Feinstein, Boxer etc. out of office. They have their own agenda. Without any regard to the citizens of the state. Watch when one of those lose their job. Maybe they'll start listening to us again. Corruption at all levels. IMO.

That is the big picture, indeed. I agree 100% with you. I vote every election to get them out, yet we've failed with that so far. But I'm asking about the smaller picture here. Specifically, what we can do about this very odd situation in the Jawbone and Dove Springs vicinity? It's a designated OHV area. These trails have been utilized for many decades, but now they're off-limits to anyone who chooses to obey the rules. I'd like to hear from anyone who has any knowledge about the current management, or anyone who has ever tried to reverse this tidal wave of closures. Maybe someone has a better idea other than sitting around and watching our perfectly good trails get taken away?

Jeff, I just spoke with Ed. He says that the OP is mistaken and anything / everything is 100% open in and around Jawbone as far as the eye can see and riding opportunities not only abound, but have never been so plentiful in California.

my eyes can't see that far, but saw numerous fences when I was down there last year.... it sucked going over them.

Got it. Yes, I'm bitter too. So, that's it? We all give up? There's no chance of pushing our agenda? There's zero chance of getting some of the single-track in that massive area open to motorcycles? Waste of time?

And as usual, she's right.

:bonk: Yup. Mine too, They must get some kind of special forces training in being right all the time.?:lol:

Hey listen, I know it's a drag, but I just look at those signs as an opportunity for adventure. It definitely wrecks it for some (my wife included), but for those with a sense of adventure, they are pointers for fun. ??

As for what to do to change things.....maybe it's time for EW to take a long retirement.....? It must be a drag having so many OHV enthusiasts that hate your guts.,.,,,,

Last time I was there there was a bunch of trails closed.

We went up the hill climbs and back through the mines. Cool for scenic ride.

I just go out off trona road. Too many folks out a Jawbone and Dove for me.

Gonna be out there this thursday-sunday. Might be over by Charlies camp this time. I'm sure some of you will be out there as well.?

That is the big picture, indeed. I agree 100% with you. I vote every election to get them out, yet we've failed with that so far. But I'm asking about the smaller picture here. Specifically, what we can do about this very odd situation in the Jawbone and Dove Springs vicinity? It's a designated OHV area. These trails have been utilized for many decades, but now they're off-limits to anyone who chooses to obey the rules. I'd like to hear from anyone who has any knowledge about the current management, or anyone who has ever tried to reverse this tidal wave of closures. Maybe someone has a better idea other than sitting around and watching our perfectly good trails get taken away?

In case you missed the answer:

It's really decided by one person that speaks to land owners and BLM and the State and has an organization that is very efficient at getting green sticker grants to do these things.

Contact Ed Waldheim of the Friends of Jawbone and have a conversation. Don't waste time with my opinion or anyone elses. Just call the man and then come tell us what you propose to make it better.

I actually think the OP was a legit gripe, suggest taking it, put it on some letterhead

sign you name to it and Email or mail to Ridgecrest BLM office as a comment for

latest scoping letter for West Mojave Plan.

That area meeting is this Friday, you dont even have to attend, just send it in

So easy a Caveman can do it

Wayne