Another rotella oil question

I was thinking of making the switch to rotella and have seen that people either swear by it or don't think it should be used for whatever reason but has anyone here ever had something negative happen as a result from using rotella?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have used it no problem. a lot of people i know, the same. as long as you change it after every ride i would say there is nothing wrong with it. if you look at road racers(sport bikes) the second most widely used oil is rotella. that really spoke to me. to each his own.

I've used it in my crf250r for over a year and I ride the bike very hard. I change it after every ride but at 12 bucks a gallon that's no issue for me. The bike performs amazing and I have had no issues with the bike and had over 50 hours of hard riding on the same top end.great oil and amazing price. Use it. It's cheap and works great. Just be sure to change it after every ride. Great oil and u should have no problem with it.

I was thinking of making the switch to rotella and have seen that people either swear by it or don't think it should be used for whatever reason but has anyone here ever had something negative happen as a result from using rotella?
Most people that come on here and swear you'll experience this problem or that problem with this or that oil have never actually personally experienced any of those issues, they're just parroting what someone told them.

I ran Rotella in my YZ250F for five years and had no issues or complaints.

I've said this often...How often you change it is far more important than what you put in it.

I run it in my (1000cc) street bikes as well as, and have sent samples off to Blackstone for analysis. The engine oil is also shared with the transmission and clutch. I'm up to 5000 miles per change and the oil is still at rated viscosity. The lab suggests I could stretch it further but for the miles and riding I do, 5k/change is more than enough.

I'd say more than half the people I know use it in all of their bikes (dirt and street)..

..a

I run rotella in all of my bikes. No issues at all. Rekluse recommends rotella as well so thats what I run in the bike with the rekluse. It is now JASO certified which meets street bike requirements. I run in it my vstrom and change the oil every 4k miles. No issues at all. Hell it barely gets discolored in 4k miles. That bike has 40k flawless mmiles on it. So the DL, YZ, WR and XT all get rotella as does my jeep and my Cummins before i sold it.

your not the first to ask this very question.. as some have stated already, MANY use it. Also as some have stated, im not sure anyone could state a problem with a bike that could be directly a result of the oil (or any oil for that matter short of NO oil).. And yes, Recluse (auto clutch) recommends Rotella.

Search some of my posts, i have ran Rotella for years and race "A" harescrambles, and have used it sometimes in my 16,500RPM roadrace machines. Use it in my deisel Ford 6.0 excursion too.. and my generators.. and pit bikes.. LOL.

I had OVER 900 hours on my 04crf450 woods machine and SOLD the cylinder to another that is using it now. I have photos of the cylinder posted on TT somewhere..

I prefer Silkolene Pro4 in my roadrace machines but have used Rotella as i said. no issues. Been racing at a semi-pro level for 9 years, and riding dirt bikes over 30 years.

Are you guys running the synthetic (T6), or petroleum (T)?. I had a CRF150R that I ran the synthetic on the engine side and petroleum on the clutch side. I just bought a yz250F and have heard rumors of foaming issues, but again no proof. Just a he said, she said thing. I also never could figure out if it was the T6 or just T they were saying had this issue.

For the price, i'd like to stick with Rotella, but not having the split engine like the honda's made me think twice.

You know, TT has this terrific search thing. You type in some key words and tens, if not hundreds of matches come up, often with the exact answers your are looking for.

I wonder what would happen if someone used it.....

I have used the search function for this topic many times. But as I stated, People do not state which version of Rotella they are running. That is why I asked that specifically since there was another topic started.

I'm not positive, but I think the Rotella oil conversation may have the most threads on TT over any other discussed topic.....well that, and the 2T vs 4T debate! ?

I have used the search function for this topic many times. But as I stated, People do not state which version of Rotella they are running. That is why I asked that specifically since there was another topic started.

I'm not positive, but I think the Rotella oil conversation may have the most threads on TT over any other discussed topic.....well that, and the 2T vs 4T debate! ?

I understand. In that case, it is often best to find a thread that closely matches 'yet another oil thread' and add on to it. That way, many of the posters will not repeat themselves and quite possibly, be more on point with specific details regarding a specifically mentioned oil.

Just like the guy that starts a post "My bike will not start', never tells anyone the make, model, history then gets upset when asked. Argh!

Please keep in mind, my comments are not directed at you per se, but the TT world in general. Sadly, I know few will see them and instead, simply start another thread. :bonk:

I have a KTM sxf 450 and live and ride in Sandiego California. I recently bought some T6 5w40 Rotella but have not used it yet...I saw there is Rotella 15w40 and am now wondering if I should return my 5w40 and get the 15w40...pep boys has a five gallon of that for 80 bucks.....anyone?

I have a KTM sxf 450 and live and ride in Sandiego California. I recently bought some T6 5w40 Rotella but have not used it yet...I saw there is Rotella 15w40 and am now wondering if I should return my 5w40 and get the 15w40...pep boys has a five gallon of that for 80 bucks.....anyone?

From what I have read/seen on here, people have used both with no issues. I personally use the 15W-40, but would like to try the 5W-40 and see how it works. However, the 5W-40 will be more expensive.

If you decide to get the 15W-40, I would get it from wal-mart. If, I recall correctly, it is about $13 per gallon. So for 5 gallons worth you save about $15 dollars compared to what you would have spent at Pep Boys.