Sign in to follow this  

mud help

took my newest bike to the track today(04 yz250) for the first ride and found that the track was SUPER muddy. It was kinda like riding in vasaline, I couldnt keep the bike upright, it was all over the place and when I went down the smooth soles on my boots made my life even worse. Im sure that the fact that I am not used to a 2 stroke and not a great rear tire had something to do with it but any other tips would certainly be awesome.

Thanks

smooth throttle control and looking forward and not down at your fender (helps me atleast) and a lil experience from mud riding help too but that comes with time

This is a great subject to talk about, I'm kinda surprised nobody else has brought it up.

For me, mud riding is all about patience, its all about skill and most importantly, smoothness. In terms of body position, you'll want to stand up almost all the time because what that will do is help balance the machine through the slop and give you more control. Staying away from those big mud ruts is a wise idea, stick to the drier lines and stay focused on looking ahead, don't look down. Usually I stick to the wide line with a berm, something I can lean against to help generate drive out of a corner. Generally speaking, mud slows you down, it places a great deal of drag on the bike so maintaining momentum is critical. Mud doesn't like the start and stop mentality of riding, so carrying corner speed and having something to lean against like a berm are critical. Using less brake and going in to a corner with a bit of speed, gently getting back on the throttle for the exit, that is a good way of dealing with a mud corner. Just think smoothness and the fact you have very little traction.

Mud jumps are also very tricky. Don't even think about clearing them your first few laps, just focus on building the prerequisite drive because most of the time you won't be able to. If your track has table tops, just land on top or something. Doubles are a bit harder, at the track I frequent we have some doubles that make "rolling" the track very difficult. So thats up to you, but just remember, building drive is very difficult with a soggy/muddy track.

Ohh and good tires, heh that is a total necessity for mud riding. Taller the knob, the better! :smirk:

There is a lot more too it then what I just posted, I'm kinda interested to hear what others say.

lean back when on the gas like when on sand to jet the front wheel float over the soft stuff.

When is comes to the soft muddy ruts you can usually ignore them and make your own once again by leaning back with lots of gas.

when it comes to jumps just try and keep it straight as possible but you can still most jumps once you get used to the bike wiggling

For corners like said above you want something to lean against so you need to use ruts or berms,

The faster you go the easier it becomes as you become more stable,

I am a beginner and am really struggling with muddy parts of the track. I do ok in the deep mud or in a banked turn with ruts, but really struggle in the shallow slick areas in a turn or even the short mud areas on the straights, especially before jumps. I think the fast areas it is just a confidence issue, but I need some technique help in the turns.

The track I rode yesterday has a turn right after a downhill section. The whole turn area was the really slick shallow mud. The braking section was really were I was struggling. I washed out twice trying to brake before I started my turn. I ended up just doing all my braking before it got slick and then taking it really easy through that section. This section didn't slow down most guys though, so I know there is something I am doing wrong.

Is there a secret to riding this slick mud? Should I be using my rear brake while I am in the mud, it is very rare that I use my rear brake. Is it just a confidence issue? I got cross rutted and took a nice digger yesterday that pretty much ruined my confidence at the start of the day. After having so much trouble in the mud, I started being very cautious everywhere on the track. A few of the jumps had a 4 of 5 foot wide patch of mud at the base of jumps and I just couldn't get myself to confidently ride through them.

It's all about body english and braking. Just like sand riding you are looking for traction and control. Traction though weighting the rear tire and using proper throttle and clutch control. Braking requires applying the back brake just before grabbing any front brake, and getting the bike to slow without causing the bike to slide. Some riders ignore the front because they are afraid of the front tire washing out but end up swapping out or just drifting and sliding everywhere when they use the rear brake. It's more important than ever to have great braking control. I emphasize the braking more because thats where most mistakes are made in the mud.

Edited by dogfish