Sign in to follow this  

2001 YZ 250 Timing

I am trying to check the timing on my 2001 YZ 250 and it looks like it is way off, so I want to make sure I am doing it right. I used a dial indicator with the spark plug adapter to find TDC. This picture is taken with it at TDC. If I am looking at it right its advanced crazy, around .080???

6631714597_6a144065cd_z.jpg

I rebuild the motor a couple years ago with a new crank, piston, cylinder, all new bearings. I cant remember if it was a hotrods or wiseco crank. I have put 45 hours on it since the rebuild, and it has always had a lot of torque and less snap then it used to have. I thought the timing seemed like it was retarded too much.

Edited by tempestman
fixed pic

I think you are assuming that the punch on the magneto should line up with the line on the coil. I think you would be better off looking at the mark on the OD of the magneto and rotate the stator plate to line up the line on the stator plate with the line on the OD of the magneto, when the proper timing is set with the dial indicator.

it doesn't really look to far off to me. The lines you are looking for are at approximately the 7 oclock position of the stator plate. Look again and tell use what you find out. I don't know the timing spec for you year bike but my 07 yz250 is .007" BTDC

You are right I was looking at the wrong marks. Sure enough looking and the service manual again there is a great pic showing the marks. It looks like I was set at about .000 so 5 degrees retarded which explains why the bike was smooth and with lots of torque but no snap. I am going to adjust it to .005 for now and go from there.

Thanks

Edited by tempestman