Sign in to follow this  

Bike will die if I leave keep the choke pulled

Any idea why this would happen? If I pull the choke and let the bike run for a few minutes, I can hear the motor slowly sputter. It sounds like it's running out of fuel. I didn't have any issues with this before, and could leave the choke in the entire time it took to put my gear on.

Not sure about you, but I only need to have choke on for 10-15 seconds before I can turn it off and the bike will run happily (5m above sea level, about 25*c)

I have found if the choke is left on for a while it will start to sputter a little.

Good. Its working correctly. The choke richens the mixture. As the motor warms up the fuel vaporizes better so it starts to run too rich and dies. You should reduce the choke as quickly as you can.

sounds normal to me

the bike is too warm for choke by the time you've got your gear on

I start mine on full choke, then move it to half choke after about 10 sec's and then take the choke off after less than 30 secs total

I f I leave the choke on for any longer the tickover speed drops and it eventually stops

sounds normal to me

the bike is too warm for choke by the time you've got your gear on

I start mine on full choke, then move it to half choke after about 10 sec's and then take the choke off after less than 30 secs total

I f I leave the choke on for any longer the tickover speed drops and it eventually stops

I do the same thing, I leave full choke for around 10 seconds, drop to half choke for another 5 or so and then off.

Cool, good to know it's normal. I guess a better question is...why could I leave it on longer before? Colder, maybe?

here's a question, if you were an engine, would it take you longer to become warm in 31 degree weather or 41 degree weather

here's a question, if you were an engine, would it take you longer to become warm in 31 degree weather or 41 degree weather

I figured that much, but the temperature in my garage is pretty consistent. Ah well!