Sign in to follow this  

Making SM side stand adjustable

Hi guys,

Does anybody know what the Inside Diameter of the lower portion of the side stand is? I am playing around with ideas on how to make it extendable to accomodate some dirt wheels.

Option 1 is to cut it off and weld on some nuts to make it into a turn-buckle.

Option 2 is to cut it off and thread it internally (or put in helicoils) to make it into a turn-buckle.

Option 3 is to chop off the bottom and have two new slip-on feet (two different lengths) made with set-screws to hold them onto the shaft.

I am hoping to go with Option 2 as it doesn't require welding. My goal is to make something easy to adjust that doesn't rattle.

Thanks, Steve

stick a small block of wood in your tool bag :smirk:

Could you not find an S or E model being parted out and grab the stand off that and just swap when you need to?

I'll look for the scrap piece I cut off mine and measure it today. 3rd option seems the best as the foot plate of the kickstand sits at a different angle on both models besides it would not turn out as heavy as the other two options.

Although it would be almost as easy to swap kickstands, it's just one bolt and one spring.

Ever since I put knobbies on my SM, the bike seems to lean over significantly more. Whenever I park somewhere I just put a thick stick or pinecone or whatever under my stand. Works fine, I suppose a small square of some 1X4 would work better but I have not had issues with my method yet.

Does anyone know what the length difference is between an S and a SM kickstand? I just installed some SM wheels on my S and with the stock kickstand my DRZ seems to lean over enough but a little bit lean more would nice.

I've gone for:

Chop the necessary chunk out of the middle of the side stand and weld in a smaller dia tube. drill 2 holes, one at the top and one at the bottom. Then drill a hole through the lower portion of the stand also then simply bolt it in the position required, long or short.

The tube is 22mm OD and about 18.5mm ID.

I cut 1-7/16" from mine but then ground a bit more to achieve the correct angle, here is a before-after pic:

DRZKickstand.jpg

Thank you for the info guys, I will verify the OD against my SM stand to see if they are the same. I'll have to mull things over for a bit, I live in a small town and don't know a competant welder. Used bikes can be highly prized around here too, I have not found a good price on a used part yet.

Steve