Ironman sprocket really worth the money?

Hi, I am wanting to buy an ironman sprocket after reading all the good review on it.

But the doubts is by using such a hard material, wont it just wear other component out (eg, chain). at the end of the day, we save money on not buying new sprocket that ofthen but ended up cahnging chain very often.

that actually equals out the budget on the drive system. eventually something got to wear out first if one is harder than the other. in my opinion, there is no escape to this equation.

any other thoughts, before i press the buy it now button. thanks.

There is absolutely no reason not to press the "buy" button. I am on over 3 years of riding and racing on mine, probably close to 800 hours, and it still looks new. I haven't seen any advanced wear on the chain, I still replace it about once a year just for preventative measures.

They are worth every penny, combined with a good o-ring or x-ring and you have a killer combo! Buy Buy Buy....

Buy it, well worth the money. They look good too.

i think i have a 50% off coupon laying around. send me a pm.

Yes,Good product here...Wear like iron,Trick looking and oh yeah,Tough as nail's!!

Go for it, I would never even consider buying a different sprocket than a Dirt Tricks sprockets. I have ordered two sprockets from him so far for different machines and they are hands down the longest lasting sprocket you can get your hands on.

I am usually a penny pincher, but the high upfront cost is nothing when you factor in how long Ironman sprockets last, especially when matched with a high quality sealed chain like the DID 520VT2.

Ironman sprockets are the best money can buy.

Thanks everyone for the review. Thank you crf230woot for the discount offer. but i live in the other part of the world and shipping here would be expensive too. I am getting from a distributor in my country should be cheaper, i thought.

If it seals the deal ZipTy Racing uses these same sprockets on all of their race bikes and get a whole years worth of use out of them. And we all know that pro racers don't have a very good reputaion for being easy on their S***

FYI, MSR steel sprockets are actually Ironman sprockets.

FYI, MSR steel sprockets are actually Ironman sprockets.

Cool, but:

Looks the same, different name, same price. Whats the point?

How does the Ironman sprocket compare to the Sunstar Works-Z sprocket?

It is a hardened SS sprocket with an offset tooth design which aids in chain cleaning.

zero bling factor, but i ride $20 Primary Drive rears from RMATV. :smirk: have yet to wear one out and ride 4-6hrs every week (but have 3 wheels,2 bikes and switch between 48-50t). If i didn't need a bunch of sprockets, the IM does look like a nice sprocket.

don't be fooled by "chain cleaning" groves either. Those things don't do siht. My opinion is the sprocket is that much thinner at the base weakening the sprocket, leading to faster wear. There IS space between the sprocket and side plates of a chain. It isn't a machine tolerance fit.. Dirt gets out or is ground between the teeth base and the rollers. period. "grooves" are a marketing gimmik.

I've bought several used ones and they've always lasted 2 or more years with me....I just bought a new one and I could not be happier

Cool, but:

MSR is a bigger brand name and has greater exposure to more riders. Therefore, Dirt Tricks is more likely to sell more sprockets if they distribute them out to them. This also gets the sprocket in many of the major parts supplier magazines and available to almost anyone instead of a small company relying on word of mouth and other advertising.

Either way, I would much rather just deal strait with Dirt Tricks and give them the extra money. The customs officers at the border tore apart my package with the Ironman sprocket and new bolts and left all the bolts and nuts bouncing around in the box. I could only find 5 and they sent me a new one in the mail instantly and had it a few days later. I later noticed the bolt was stuck in a ball of tape when I went to throw the box out, but either way, excellent customer service.

zero bling factor, but i ride $20 Primary Drive rears from RMATV. :smirk: have yet to wear one out and ride 4-6hrs every week (but have 3 wheels,2 bikes and switch between 48-50t). If i didn't need a bunch of sprockets, the IM does look like a nice sprocket.

don't be fooled by "chain cleaning" groves either. Those things don't do siht. My opinion is the sprocket is that much thinner at the base weakening the sprocket, leading to faster wear. There IS space between the sprocket and side plates of a chain. It isn't a machine tolerance fit.. Dirt gets out or is ground between the teeth base and the rollers. period. "grooves" are a marketing gimmik.

I agree with you on most points but I disagree on the grooves. I have found that grooves do help keep the sprocket stay a little cleaner. Not a do all by any means, but it does help.

I agree with you on most points but I disagree on the grooves. I have found that grooves do help keep the sprocket stay a little cleaner. Not a do all by any means, but it does help.

From my experience, the grooves just collect crud.

Love my "Ironman" sprocket. It's actually a MSR labeled one. When I got it (3 or so years ago) Ironman's on Ebay were going for money, and I don't think anyone knew the MSR's were the same, so they were going for much less. Mine was new in the package for $50 shipped.

As for Primary Drive, I love their chains. But their steel sprockets are no where near the same level as the Ironman. I've worn out a number of PD steelies. My Ironman doesn't seem to ever want to quit.

Cool, but:

I paid less for the MSR sprocket through my local dealer than I would have if I ordered Ironman direct through Dirt Tricks.