Sign in to follow this  

neutral problem 2011 rmz 250

is any one else having neutral problems with 2011 rmz 250. if so is there anything i can do to fix this?

this is a hot topic, and YES some are having issues with shifting. how many hours are on the bike, and are there metal chunks in the magnetic oil drain plug? If you miss enough shifts you will damage the gear doggs which will eventually cause the bike to "drop out" of gear while riding, which can be dangerous. there are a few things to consider to help prevent missed shifts:

-what oil do you use? a thicker oil has been reported to help in shifting and also prolong the life of the transmission, a good 15w-50 or even 20w-50 motor oil is what your looking for.

-modification. some have found that fitting the detent spring from the RMZ450 in the shifting mechanism helps with shifting (apparently due to it being stiffer) i havent tried this mod for myself, but it is a cheap mod that can be fitted easily to the bike.

-are your feet fairly large? the shift lever on the rmz is unchanged since 07, and in the new frame it is even closer to the peg than most riders are comfortable with. this can cause incomplete or non-positive shifting.

personaly i too was getting a few false neutrals here and there when shifting. The only thing ive done to mine so far was use a thicker oil and concentrated on shifting positively. ever since i have never run into the problem. but if im rushed by circumstances (like when racing) i think it can happen again, which is why id like to try the detent spring mod myself and a longer shift lever.

sorry for the long post...

I don't think he is getting false neutrals.... but rather having trouble "finding" neutral

i have only got popped into neutral once when shifting into first really quick in tight quick turn. i am having problems getting the bike in neutral when i am stopped and want it to go into neutral.

i have only got popped into neutral once when shifting into first really quick in tight quick turn. i am having problems getting the bike in neutral when i am stopped and want it to go into neutral.

oh, sorry about that, yes they are finiky to get into neutral, i find going down from second is easier than up from first to get neutral...