Sign in to follow this  

adjusting the AP....(AGAIN!)

ok guys i know there are many many threads on this. i dont want to drop the money i dont have on the quickshot because in all seriousness why would honda make a carburetor that needed mods to work properly. i am changing my leak jet to a #55 from the stock 70 because unlike pros i dont full throttle into turn and i let the rpms drop frequently then pin it and what happens... booooogggggg.:bonk: so. what i am doing is changing leak jet to #55 for less return fuel to the bowl and i am tuning the ap for best shot to the throat when whacked. there is a sticky i think in the wr forum or something by a guy name william1 and this is his and many others method to perfect the timing.

The AP timing screw.

Resetting the AP timing to 'stock'

Method #1 - Most accurate

Turn the idle speed screw so the slide is completely closed (count the turns and note it) .

Turn the throttle wheel, raise the slide, slip a .8mm drill blank under the slide, release the throttle wheel, pinning the blank.

Turn the AP timing screw so the play just barely goes away.

Remove the drill blank, reset the idle speed to where it was.

Fine adjust the AP timing screw by test riding, turning in 1/2 turn increments to where the bog is just gone. Should be less than 2 turns, if at all.

now my question comes in one spot. everything seems very easy but what the hell is a .8mm drill blank? has anyone done this before. i mean i have 8mm drill bits laying around but .8mm? that is so small i dont even know where to find one. please someone let me know what they used and if its like a 1/8 bit or if there is a better way to do this.:lol: all help is welcome and appreciated :smirk:

have you put a new diaphragm in it and o ring? use drillbit from a good metric drill index

.8mm is equal to .0315" or 1/32nd. A number 67 or 68 bit would also work. For what it's worth I never went to the trouble to hold the slide open with anything other than the idle screw. I would adjust my AP to start moving immediately with any movement of the throttle.

.8mm is equal to .0315" or 1/32nd. A number 67 or 68 bit would also work. For what it's worth I never went to the trouble to hold the slide open with anything other than the idle screw. I would adjust my AP to start moving immediately with any movement of the throttle.

i agree with kx450f63