Sign in to follow this  

Best Action camera???

Well I'm looking to buy a new action camera!

I'm looking for one of those:

• GoPro HD Motorsports HERO HD 1080p
  • Contour HD 1080P Wearable
  • Drift HD170 Stealth

Which of these 3 do you advise?

Thank you

I am going all Drift HD this year. It's a bit more than the GoPro HD 2, though much better in my opinion. Reason being, it has more features, better mounting options, white balance settings and exposure settings. The raw footage isn't as bright or over exposed like it is with the GoPro line of cameras. *You can always adjust image in post processing (editing) to make it look as bright, dark, saturated, however you want as long as the information in the image is there. With the over contrast settings on the GoPro, you can set black levels where they don't exist, which is one of the main reasons I am not going GoPro this time.

*Drift HD170 only does 720p @ 30fps (If you don't plan on doing slow motion, then its a pretty awesome camera for the price). **Drift HD does 720p @ 60fps ***Remote will sync with entire line of Drift cameras, so one remote for multiple cameras.

So I would say:

1) Drift HD (wireless remote, replaceable lens, better mounting, white balance adjust, exposure setting adjust, more features)

2) Contour HD (More detail captured like the Drift, less options than the Drift)

3) GoPro HD2 (If you don't care about the above, this is the option for you.)

I've researched this a bit..lol

Edited by ctekguy

Just incase you doubt I actually own a GoPro HD (not HD 2) camera..lol

*I adjusted sharpness, contrast and color settings to get it to look like it does, so it is not just raw footage. **I also use Sony Vegas to edit

Reason being, it has more features, better mounting options, white balance settings and exposure settings.

1) Drift HD (wireless remote, replaceable lens, better mounting, white balance adjust, exposure setting adjust, more features)

Can you mount the Drift on a chest protector?

The Contour HD 1080P is currently the oldest camera in Contour's line up. I have one and it's great. I also have one of their newer cams, and it's even better. I have said this before, but the form factor was important to me. I would not want to mount a GoPro on my head, like a wind sail. Just my opinion. Here's my solution. Out of the way, and as protected as any helmet mount would be.

IMAG0246.jpg

I wanted to make a correction in one of my replies but found I could not edit it, so I will just update. I said the following:

With the over contrast settings on the GoPro, you can set black levels where they don't exist, which is one of the main reasons I am not going GoPro this time.

I meant to say:

With the over contrast settings on the GoPro, you can't set black levels where they don't exist, which is one of the main reasons I am not going GoPro this time.

Aside from that, I found a nice video comparison lastnight and thought I would share. In 01:17 of the video, the comparison in black levels I think reveals itself and more to the point I was trying to make. The GoPro HD is a very good camera, however there are others that do things better if you are as picky as I am with video..lol.

Another video regarding low light capture quality and color saturation:

http://http://www.yo...h?v=uoZ0uHYslps

Lastly, is a great video on color correction within Sony Vegas:

Hope the videos are helpful. :smirk::bonk: